1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

6 String Bass String Spacing.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by isaiahjordan, Oct 9, 2017.

1. isaiahjordan

isaiahjordan

Oct 9, 2017
    Birmingham
    Building a custom Warmoth six string bass. string spacing is something I haven't thought much about until now.

1. The only option for a bridge through Warmoth on this particular body has a .656" string spacing (16.5mm).

I am looking into trying out low action smaller string spacing..similar to how Ken Smith sometimes has five string basses spaced out the same as a four string.

- Any recommendations for bridges to check out?
    -Pros? Cons?

Thanks for trying to make sense of that,

Z

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Monorails, hipshot has two different models. One of then allows for 0.610 spacing. If that is still wide, there other options, like a guitar bridge with bass saddles installed.

BTB675MNTF_Bridge.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    isaiahjordan likes this.
  3. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    I'm surprised they have a .656 bridge now. When I built mine all the bridges were 19mm. I have small hands and 19mm was too big, so I ordered a Hipshot A with 17mm spacing. You have to have good control, because the space between strings is tight, so muting becomes imperative (if you're slappin, if not, not a big deal).

isaiahjordan likes this.
  4. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    thats cool and you should have no problems with the smaller spacing, but
    try to get bigger hands. my favorite is 18, and i too never bought big hands.
    good luck,get what feels good and just play

isaiahjordan likes this.
  5. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    Also make sure you get 'bar' pickups or find something that matches pole piece alignment to the strings.
    I had Cary Nordstrand make me some custom 17mm "Fat Stacks" for mine, and they are Amazing!!!!

isaiahjordan likes this.
  6. Schaller 2000. Ajustable string spacing Minimun: 15mm, Max: 19/20mm.

1___23368.jpg

hs123 and isaiahjordan like this.
  7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Kahler 24xx series bass bridges allow adjustable string spacing, down to the almost ridiculously narrow (I have one on my Modulus that's less than 14mm).

isaiahjordan likes this.