Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6 string bassists

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eniweni, Dec 28, 2005.

1. i play a 6 string bass but don't have the money to spash out on a expensive one. does any one have any good surgguessions as i need a new one as my current one is past it's sell by date. it seems you lot across the pond are are very knowledgable lot.

2. I've got a Washburn MB 6 and i'm thinking of about £700 i think thats about $1100. i have hear a lot of good things about the Yamaha 1006. do you know anything about the ibanez SR 506

3. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Ibanez BTB406 ... very versatile bass.

4. would you chose the BTB range over the the SR range as i started off with an SR405 and loved it loads

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    BTB has a wider range because of the mid sweep, and freq boost...the sr406 is a decent enough bass though. The sr 506 sport's bartolini's and sound great but i think they still lack the versatiliy of the BTB preamp. IMO

6. many thanks. i don't know if you have them across there but what do you think of the BTB 556

7. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I haven't had the luxury of playing one yet.

8. i played a yamaha JM6 the other day was impressed any thoughts. do you play a 6er

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Look for a used Peavey Cirrus 6. Great basses.

10. i agree but trying to get one over here is like knitting fog

11. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've got the Ibanez SR496; the model that came-out just before the SR506 with Barts... :rolleyes:

It "feels" pretty good, but I don't like the mudiness of the pups. While SRs are not renouned for their pups & electronics, I think I really prefer the sound of single-pole (or split "P") pups. The SR has humbuckers.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Ibanez BTB, but I think I'd still prefer to stick with my SR496, and upgrade the pups & electronics to EMG.

If I was starting from scratch in the $600 range, I'd go with the Spector (see Musician's Friend).

If only Fender make the P & J in a 6-string w/19" spacing! :cool:

12. Check eBay for a Peavey, Tim Landers' signature bass. It is the bass I am currently using. They are great basses, and I am not sure if you can buy them directly from anywhere. Peavey Cirrus' are good too.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Do Carvins fall into your price range over there??

14. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I have an Ibanez BTB 506(i believe that's the model). It is a good bass, the neck isn't too deep, and the onboard electronics are cool.

15. Definatly, i love mine, and i got it in near mint condition for £250!! :D

Personally ive never liked SR's, i dont like the sound or feel of them, never played anything higher than the 500 series tho, so i dont know about the higher models

[​IMG]

Mmmmm

16. £700 = $700 , plain and simple when talking about musical equipment (the majority of the time, it sucks but thats the way it is)

17. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    The Ibanez lines seem to be pretty good. I've tried a couple of them (BTB and SR series), and really liked them.

18. I reccomend the Schecter studio 6 it's a very good bass it has an awesome feel its made out of Mahogany has a bubinga top has Emg pickups and (I believe) pre-amp and also it is Neck-thru has a very nice feel on aveage Schecter stuff is ok to good but these Studio models especially the 6 seem to be a cut above the rest

http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=112

Good luck with a new bass

19. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Another vote for the Peavey Cirrus! Great basses for an incredibly low price. Usually readily availble new or used.
    Best of luck.