Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6-string method books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dincrest, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    First of all, I apologize if something like this has been asked before, but I'm probably retarded with use of the searching (i.e. I can never quite pick out the right key words.)

Anyway, I'm a fairly new 6-stringer and I have been revisiting all my old lesson books to get me back up to snuff to where I was before I stopped taking lessons (I took lessons for 3 years in high school before going to college) and hopefully beyond. Thus far I have been using my method books (4-string method books) and multiple manuscript books of teacher and self-drawn drills (which have stuff for both 4 and 5-string) nicely and extrapolating those drills to my six, but to be honest, I'd really like a more comprehensive method book geared towards 6-string playing.

You can call me lazy if you wish, but with PhD studies and all, I don't get all that much time to practice and I feel a more comprehensive method book for 6-string might allow me to utilize my cognitive resources more efficiently to get more out of my practice time.

This Hal Leonard book and CD seems like something up my alley, but given that most (if not all) of you are better and more experienced bassists (and ERBers) than I, I wish to ask if you think it's a helpful resource and/or if there are better method books I should consider.

http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=HL00695221

And, not that this may matter, but I'm one of those guys who actually enjoys doing scales and drill material.

Thanks muchly.

2. That's a good one, I think, for what you're looking for (scales & exercises).

3. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    If your a scale type guy I wouldn't buy a book. Just take the stuff you already know like scales, modes, 2-octave arpeggios, etc.. and start on your lowest string and work it to the highest string working through the cycle. In very short order you will be very comfortable with the new strings. As long as you have a working knowledge of the 4-string you can figure out the notes on the additional two stings without a book thinking octaves etc...

All the best,
    Tim

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thanks so far. Tim- I know that such things as scales and exercises may/may not require a book but a book gives me some structure in which to guide my practicing, otherwise I'm kinda sporadic.

The adjustment isn't too difficult since I've mostly played a 5.