1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 String roundwounds.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kazz3lrath, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Kazz3lrath

Kazz3lrath

Jan 5, 2012
    I have an Ibanez Soundgear Gio six-string. I am looking for some roundwounds to play on, and would prefer higher tension strings to avoid getting a floppy B. As far as tone goes, I generally play hard rock and metal (JPJ, Geezer, Harris, etc.)

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
  3. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    From what I've been reading it seems like higher stiffness is often perceived as higher tension, so maybe hex-core is a good place to start, and then pick your preferred gauge from there. DR loriders are great strings.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Hard to beat D'Addario for the price. Go to www.bassstringsonline.com and get a regular 45-105 set, then order singles for the B and C strings. I'd get a .135 and a .32. You could even build an entire custom set if you wanted heavier/higher tension.

Another good option would be to get the medium Balanced Tension XL's then add your singles. Might even be better than the 45-105 set. Should run you about $25 for a whole set, and that's before the TB user discount at BSO!

Singles:
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/-D...-Build-your-own-Custom-String-Set_p_1463.html

Balanced Sets:
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/DA...D--4-String-Balanced-Tension-Set-_p_1347.html

5. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Yes, be careful with that one. You can get a nice stiff string without greatly increasing tension by selecting a string with less suppleness or flexibility.

LoRiders seem to be the king of low action without floppiness. You could also try flats, those are stiffer than roundwounds.