1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

6 string tuned ADGCFA

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dragoon419, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Hey, I've been considering getting a used 6 string SoundGear and tuning it to A. I've gone to the D'addario site to check out the gauges and their tension. I have it set up like this:

A= .145: 32.9lbs
    D= .110: 36.7lbs
    G= .90: 43.2lbs
    C= .75: 53.7lbs
    F= .55: 50.0lbs
    a= .35: 32.4lbs

I was wondering if the tension would be even all around.

The low A will probably be tapered if that makes any difference.

2. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
  3. Where is the differential, the high a?

4. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    D= .110: 36.7lbs
    G= .90: 43.2lbs
    C= .75: 53.7lbs
    F= .55: 50.0lbs
    a= .35: 32.4lbs

I haven't checked your calculations, but based on what you posted, both of your A's are too low as well as your D and your C and F are too high. Your tensions range from 32.4 to almost 54 lbs.

I'm tuned just a half step lower than you are, minus the high A (I'm on a 5 string) and these are the gauges I use: 50-65-85-120-165... They'd probably work out just fine for you if you added the high A, maybe a bit heavier than the .35 you are using now.

My tension with those gauges floats around the mid to high thirties, a half step up would put you closer to 40 lbs all the way across the board which is ideal.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Where in the hell do you people get string gauges that big?

I can find .130 tops.

6. Luckily I didn't actually tune a bass like that, but I'm glad that with those suggested adjustments I could tune a bass like that.

Thanks for the info.

7. THSL

THSL

Jun 3, 2007
    New York, NY
    I use this tuning... but on a 35" scale length. On a 34" scale length using D'Addario Pro Steels, your tension should be about:

D= .105: 32.0lbs
    G= .080: 33.3lbs
    C= .060: 30.4lbs
    F= .045: 30.3lbs
    A#= .032: 29.6lbs

You can to this set using D'Addario ProSteels, or Ken Smith Stainless Steel strings. I like the .145 tapered string, and Ken Smith makes a .106 tapered, and .080 tapered.

You can get single strings from http://www.juststrings.com

Tim
    http://harikzehr.com

Halfpoundbobby likes this.
  8. Roland777

Roland777

Jun 1, 2006
    Sweden
    THSL has the wisest suggestion so far. Not racking down on BB - but that guy has some serious heavy-ass strings on his bass! :D Considering that I myself like lighter tension, I'd start off with an A at .135 and build the rest of the set from there, but THSL has a pretty happy medium. Go with his advice! (Maybe drop the G-string from 80 to 75)

As far as your original set, dragoon, stay far, FAR away from it. Couldn't you see by yourself that the tension throws wildly all over the place? It'll play like crap IMO. Even tension not only plays better (IMO), but also sounds better - due to the thinner strings. Thinner strings facilitate slapping and popping a lot, due to their lighter percussive attack against the fretboard. (That's pretty much an objective opinion :D)

9. THSL

THSL

Jun 3, 2007
    New York, NY
    It all depends on your playing style. If you are into tapping and all that stuff, a .135 for a low A0, may suffice, but on at least a 35" scale length bass. I think for the low A string, you should try to keep the tension to above 31lbs... As close to 35lbs is best especially for hard picking and finger plucking...

I have tried as low as .120 to .150 for A0. .145 suits me best, and D'addario ProSteels, or Ken Smith Stainless make a pretty darn good version... The .120 is just too light and unstable at that pitch, and the .150 from Conklin/LaBella is just not as good and cheap as the .145's...

If you are interested in wierd tunings, or extended range bass stuff, please visit: http://forum.extendedrangebassist.com

10. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York

It's a good suggested set if you like very low tension. It's nice and uniform, which is important. Personally, at G# on a 34" scale I was very unhappy with the tension of a .145, not nearly tight enough for me to play the way I like to play. For me, anything under 35 lbs is too light for my touch.

Believe it or not, as heavy as my strings may seem to be, at my tuning they are still relatively low in tension. All of my strings are well under 40 lbs. at my tuning. I should really be using a much heavier string for my G#, but I don't feel like altering my nut to the point where I will need to replace it when I go back to tuning this particular bass standard. I have a bass on order that is specifically made for detuning, so I'd rather not permanently alter my Music Man. If I wasn't getting the Knuckle Quake in the near future, I'd probably be using at least a .175 for my G#, or more likely a .194.

THSL's suggested set would not work at all for me, but I don't know what dragoons playing style is. Maybe it would work for him.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    For me getting the tensions roughly uniform works better - at least that way you don't have some strings that feel like you can really beat on 'me and some that seem flabby. It's all relational. But if you like your higher-pitched strings really tight you'll be hard-pressed to find lower-pitched strings that can ALSO reach those tensions and not seem kind of unresponsive and lacking in overtones during the sustain, once the attack is over.