Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6-String with 30 frets.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Reff, Aug 11, 2005.

1. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I'm looking for a 6-string bass with 30 frets. It could be a custom bass or it could be a stock model - do they exist ?

Does anyone know if there's some custom builders out there that does a better job building those instruments with special features ?

Does any names or brands pop into your heads ? :)

2. I believe Conklin would make any number of strings, and as an option you can get 28 or 36 frets.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    PM John Turner (moderator of Basses), he's got two custom Conklin 7's with 36 frets....well, one's fretless, so it's got 36 positions! ;)

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Certainly there are no "stock" 6 string basses with 30 frets, and you could have a custom builder make you one...but his question, and mine, would be...why?

30 frets is a pretty arbitrary number, theoretically speaking. Why not just go with a 7 string bass with 24 frets? Extended range basses with more strings as opposed to more frets sound better and function better, because as you move up the fingerboard you lose two things, tone and comfort. The great thing about 6+ string basses is that you increase range across the fingerboard instead of up the fingerboard, you dig?

Besides, IMHO the best feeling and sounding basses are 34" scale, as opposed to 35 or 36".

6. I can't think of any builders that do 30 frets specifically. There are several that have models with 28 (Conklin, Jerzy Drozd, Carey Nordstrand, JP)--Conkin and Drozd also do 36--and Curbow has 33 and 29 fret models.

Mike

7. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    My idea was actually to have a 6 string made that goes from E-F. I play a lot of chords and its difficult to reach across more than 5 strings IMO.

Does Conklin only make 34" or does he makes other scale lengths as well ?

Edit: So if I should a 7 String it would be from E - A# with 24 frets 8 (if I want the same tonal range).How is it to play those high F and A# strings?
    According to Conklins website they are .022/.018 and .015/.011 - it seems very thin to me .............. :)

8. He makes other scales. I know for a fact that he does 35" and multiscale, but he'll probably do any scale really.

9. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    this mucho famous conklin has 30 frets:

[​IMG]

edit- scalewise, Bill Conklin goes 34" scale unless requested otherwise, mine for example will have a fan of 35"-32", ever tought about going fanned?

10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    my f bass fretless has 28 frets

i think thats TONNES

11. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    edit- scalewise, Bill Conklin goes 34" scale unless requested otherwise, mine for example will have a fan of 35"-32", ever tought about going fanned?[/QUOTE]

No - I haven't thought about that. I think main concern is how it is to go back and forth between fanned and not fanned basses - is it difficult ?

12. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    it's really more of an eye illusion, most users say that in minutes fretting is natural