1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

600 watt 8 ohm amp heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mmbass21, Oct 27, 2018.

1. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    So admittedly I'm a bit of a gear junky always wanting to try new things and see what else is out there. I look at individual amp heads constantly and their power ratings but I don't find much with anything offering 600 watts at 8 ohms or more.

This isn't really a need and that would be a ton of power considering a head with that power at 8 ohms must be pushing well over 1000 watts at 4 ohms. Since I haven't found much I'm curious what the community here has seen over the years or what is available today that I just haven't found.

I know there is some out there but lets see what we can all come up with...I like lists
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. Many amps are built around class D power output modules made by someone who is not the amp manufacturer.
    A certain compliment of discrete output devices used in the module determine the power outputs.
    The output devices and their power handling capability are determined by someone else who isn’t the output module manufacturer. The modules tend to lock in at certain power level increments that don’t usually land on 600.

mcnach likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DNA 1350 maybe.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    SamsonTech Hartke

Hartke LH1000: Bridged puts out 750 Watts @ 8 Ohms.

Specs:
    • Dual Parallel mode offers 2 x 225 watts at 8 ohms, 2 x 320 watts at 4 ohms, 2 x 545 watts at 2 ohms
    • Bridge mode offers 750 watts at 8 ohms, 1,100 watts at 4 ohms
    • Classic 12AX7 Class A tube preamp circuit
    • Bass and Treble shelving, Mid-peak EQ controls
    • Selectable Brite and Limiter switch with LED indicator
    • Balance control blends level of A and B outputs
    • Front panel balanced XLR direct output
    • Rear panel 1/4" Effects loop
    • 1/4" and Twist & Lock output connectors
    • 2-rackspace metal chassis with steel faceplate and handles

5. Is there a specific reason you want 600 at 8?

If it’s because you have an 8 Ohm cab rated at 600 Watts, and you think you need an amp that matches those specs, then it’s time to do a bit more research on pairing up amps with cabs.

6. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    No major reason, I'd rather use more cabs to move more air but like looking at the GK MB Fusion 800 it's rated at 560w at 8 ohms. Just seeing if there's anything out there that I haven't seen yet.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  7. Oh yeah! I see what you mean.
    I would guess that most of the 800 @ 4 class D amps will get you down around the 500-600 range.
    In that range, a hundred Watts plus/minus won’t be significant for a difference in loudness.
    More cabs is always good. :thumbsup:

-edit- Looking at the Mesa D800+
    800 Watts @ 4/2 and 400 @ 8.
    Lots of cab options with 2 Ohm stable.
    Built in HPF to help keep power from being wasted on making mud.
    You can count on the power ratings to be real too.
    Not Inflato-watts like some manufacturers do.
    And the rest of the guts will support every bit of that power.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Mpike likes this.
  8. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    @Old Garage-Bander it would definitely be a very nominal difference. I guess where this is coming from is the chart from barefaced and the BB2 cab that I have coming. It shows that at its maximum loudness for 600w and maximum headroom at 800w. My curiosity is simply getting the best of me.

-edit, I actually have a D800+ :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  9. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    From a purely theoretical point of view, I doubt you could distinguish between a 600W and a 500W amp in practice.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    There are at least a few coming out at NAMM that use the new ICE 1200 watt module. Many if not most of the newer Class D modules don't follow the old model of 60-70% of the 4 ohm power when run into an 8 ohm load, FWIW. 50-60% seems a lot more common these days IME.

If you want a LOT more, there's the Jule Amps 2500.

HolmeBass and Mpike like this.
  11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    If you don't mind it being heavy, Ampeg SVT 6-PRO has been serving me pretty well.

Mpike likes this.
  12. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I believe the new GK fusion heads will be using that new ICE module whenever they release them.

It's interesting with where we are with modern technology that 500-600 watts at 8 ohms is basically the max with only a handful of exceptions. Can't wait to see what the next 10-15yrs will bring power wise.

13. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Not 600watts but 500watts at 8 ohms is the GB SM 9.2.

900 watts at 4 ohms.

Plenty of power pushing my 210 stage monitoring rig at 8 ohms.
    D65B4976-F21A-423E-8A3C-BB87BCE0EE87.

HolmeBass and Mpike like this.
  14. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    SVT4Pro is 900 @ 8 ohms bridged

15. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Is 700 watts at 8 ohms ok?
    Mega.

HolmeBass, svtb15, Helix and 3 others like this.
  16. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Yeah my old 42 lb. GBE1200 was 550 at 8 ohms.
    I usually ran a single 15” cab with a 3015.

17. I believe the darkglass microtubes 900 is 500 at 8ohms, 900 at 4ohms and 900 at 2ohms. Not far off from 600 at 8ohms, I went with that amp over all the others, no regrets.

Mpike likes this.
  18. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    You could always go the separate pre-amp and power amp route. I have an A.M.P. SL-1 running into a 1200 watt Carvin power amp that will do about 800 at 8 ohms. I call it my 1200 watt Thunderfunk.:D

Mpike likes this.
  19. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    Some solid options. I knew TB wouldn't let me down. I hear the Peavey has reliability issues. Anyone ever compare the D800 to darkglass micro tubes? I love my D800+ and don't see replacing it anytime soon. I'm on the fence with the B amp though, it's amazing but I think my ears prefer a more baked in color from the amp.

20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    My Epifani PS1000 will do 1000 watts 8 ohm / bridged.

Riis