63 AVRI Precision Bass neck dive.. is this normal??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yousaiditman, Mar 28, 2018.

1. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    DNA
    Tried out a 63 AVRI Precision Bass Sonic Blue the other day, 2017 model, and was surprised by the amount of neck dive when sitting and playing without a strap.

Is this normal for that model or did I just get a one-off? Any PBass AVRI owners find the same thing?

2. Tooned

Tooned

Sep 14, 2006
    White Rock BC
    If the body on it is fairly light with those big tuners at the end of the neck it's not that surprising that it's unbalanced.
    The AV 58 I used to have was also a bit tippy. Kept thinking I'd get some Gotoh res-o-lites for it to save some weight at the headstock, but ended up selling it.

3. yousaiditman

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    DNA
    Yeah, those tuners can't be that heavy but maybe just enough. Body is Alder so that's why I'm surprised.

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    My 2013 American Standard Jazz does the same thing when sitting and no strap. Standing and on a strap it's fine.

5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I thought the same but the Res-O-Lites are 2.4 ounces each and the Fenders that are on my 2013 are 2.7 ounces each. A total weight savings of a little over 1 ounce. Not enough savings to make it worth the effort.

6. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I've never had an issue with mine. I use a leather strap. No idea if that makes a difference. Neck dive is one of those things I never ever thought about until I found this website.

Alexander and bobyoung53 like this.
  7. yousaiditman

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    DNA
    Just to clarify my comment on neck dive, I recently played a Fender PBass Pro, standard and the 63' AVRI at a local guitar shop. All were MIA.

The AVRI seemed way more neck heavy so that's why I ask the question. Probably the tuners are the issue, but just wondering what others experience. Also I'm talking about sitting with no strap, the bulk of my playing when practicing, vs standing with a strap in a band situation.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  8. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Mine dives to where it is parallel to the ground when I am wearing it. It doesn’t fall below that but I have to hold it up when I play it because I don’t play it in that position, I like the neck a bit higher up. It doesn’t bother me though, I love the 63 AVRI. My 58 AVRI does the same thing. Both of them have light weight bodies and are light guitars at less than nine pounds. I don’t plan on changing anything about them.

AngelCrusher likes this.
  9. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I sit with the strap on as well. Probably why I never noticed an issue. I wouldn't change anything either.

10. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    Id be happy with neck dive to parallel. the Moollon I had dove to about 5 O'Clock

11. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    IMHO & IMHE you'll never know what you are missing until you actually try light tuners. Before I was introduced to Hipshot's Ultralites I never thought of neck-dive as an issue, I took it for granted and dealt with it. But after installing a set the difference was day&night and I'll never go back. It simply makes playing easier.

Your existing tuners weigh 110 grams each. Your options are (from lightest) Gotoh Carb-o-lites (35 gr. each), Hipshot Ultralites (56 gr.), Gotoh GB528 (60 gr.), Gotoh GB[R]640 (67 gr.).

For you particular bass Carb-o-lites & GB[R]640 are drop-in replacements. Others will require drilling new holes, and after installation existing holes will be exposed.

[R] is for reverse gear.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  12. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I don’t think Fenders are really designed to balance while sitting down. Most of them do balance well while hanging from a strap while standing up. This has to do with the strap button on the long upper horn. Of course while sitting, that doesn’t really come into play because the bass is pivoting on your knee.

Twice19 likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021