1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

66 blackface bassman impedance?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesBass1, Aug 1, 2012.

1. BluesBass1

BluesBass1

Jul 12, 2012
    Gages Lake, IL
    does anyone here know the impedance on a fender 66 blackface bassman head?...........AB165 schematic ....
    i have googled this but get varied messages... some say 8 and some say 4 ohm.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    ?

Are you asking for the minimum/maximum impedance load that it wants to see from a speaker?

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That amp had an 125A13A output transformer. The output impedance is 4 ohms. There are two jacks on the back that are wired in parallel.

For optimal performance, you would normally plug in a single 4 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs, one into each jack. That doesn't stop folks from plugging in a single 8 ohm cab.

keyofnight likes this.
  4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yep, they're 4 ohm heads. but you can run them with 8 or 2 ohms loads without any issues too.

5. BluesBass1

BluesBass1

Jul 12, 2012
    Gages Lake, IL
    i have an Ampeg pn410 @8ohms that i got to match with an svt6pro...... but i wanted to plug the bassman into to see how it sounds as the original bassman cab i got with head has blown speakers and works but sounds horrible. i have no other cabs to plug it into for testing ..........just dont want to damage new pn410 or bassman head...........will it be safe?????

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yes.

7. BluesBass1

BluesBass1

Jul 12, 2012
    Gages Lake, IL
    thanks to all for help............
    one more question..........are these heads worth putting money into (tubes, caps, etc.), or are they fairly ordinary?
    either for resale or just to keep for vintage.......

8. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone appreciates them as a bass amp. I have a deep appreciation for old Fender amps, especially of that era, so I would say that they are a joy to own. I was looking at one recently that was being offered for $500. It was well worth it.

[​IMG]

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Most any bassman, but especially a blackface, is well worth putting money into and hanging on to. They're one of the classic amps.

Those were all really sturdy amps. I've played a bunch on 8 ohm cabs and never broke one, but they're really made for 4 ohms.

10. chicomalo

chicomalo

Jul 17, 2012
    Escondido, CA
    I would consider recapping.

11. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Keeping an amp in good working condition is not a negative thing on the vintage market. In general, this includes a power supply recap, a three conductor power cord, tubes, or anything else needed to make it useable. Keep the old parts.

12. BluesBass1

BluesBass1

Jul 12, 2012
    Gages Lake, IL
    okay, well i plugged in the 66 bassman and there is a few minor crackles and pops but all in all, it sounds really good.......like a vintage tube should.......its plugged into the 8ohm pn410 and is pretty loud for a 50 watt amp......pretty sweet for not being used for 20 years.
    would it be louder if i had a 4ohm cab? ..........or i guess i could add another 8ohm cab and bring it down to 4.

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yeah, they pick up some headroom at 4 ohms. not that loud an amp but it is a beautiful classic tone. Now you gotta go get a CAR or LPB P Bass and a surf band :)

14. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Had one just like it back in the day. Oh, how I miss it. Yours looks lovely.