Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

6L6 Powertubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MaxRebus, Jan 25, 2006.

1. MaxRebus

MaxRebus

Sep 1, 2004
    Rome - Italy
    Dear friends !! I've just traded an SVT3-Pro for an V4Bh that in combination with my Ampegs 2x10 and 1x15 cabinets I'm a really new bassplayer ... Now I've noticed that on the powertubes there is only written "RUBY" .... does anybody know what kind of powertubes these babies are ? If I was considering in changing them what would you suggest ? The more I play the amp and the more I'm convincing myself that probably real branded powertubes would really make this amp a little less compressed sounding at really high levels ....
    Better powertubes would eventually give a little more performance in terms of output stage ? I really trust any of Your wise suggestions ....
    Does 6L6 powertubes need biasing once changed ? I can't see any trimmer (like the Classic) next to the tubes ---

Thanks

MASSIMO :D

2. Ruby tubes are generally pretty good. I wouldn't change them unless they are malfunctioning or I had some great NOS replacements.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've been very happy with Sovtek 6L6 tubes, and I know they are very well respected among certain tubeheads despite their low price and low market "placement". They sound great in my old Bassman. But I agree with Aaron "I wouldn't change them unless they are malfunctioning".

4. tommysalami

tommysalami

Jul 11, 2004
    U.S.A.
    Talk to Bob at TubeDepot.com. I'm sure he can help you decide what to do with your amp.