1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

7 String Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aldrnari, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Aldrnari

Aldrnari

Jan 18, 2013
    Hello,
    I would like to inquire of your help, fine ladies and gentlemen of TalkBass.
    I have been playing bass a while, I started on a 4 string and after deciding I knew I wanted to play bass I moved up to a 5 string (I play a lot of metal)
    I have wanted a 7 String for a while now but here is my question too keep this short and snappy:
    If I were to get a 7 String tuned BEADGCF would I be able to retune it FBEADGC, or restring it to put the thicker strings on?

Also, I know a decent bassist should be able to do the job with 1 string, but I really enjoy experimenting with things, It would only be a cheap 7 string. So if there are any you can recommend, that would be great I have been looking at the Raven West Guitars seven strings and the much controversial Antoniotsai 7 strings
    Thanks
    -Aldrnari

2. I haven't personally tried a Raven West or Antonio Tsai yet, so I cannot offer any comments on those.

7-strings are a blast to play. I own a GTBD-7, which has more EQ, switches and knobs than I know what to do...

Used, I was lucky enough to find mine for $750 + shipping.

I've seen some used GT-7 basses listed between $650-700.

I believe if you want to restring as F# B E A D G C, you'd just go up a gauge. You'd need to make some intonation adjustments, and perhaps adjust the truss rod(s).

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I agree. My GTBD-7 has an internal switch for F# BEAD etc. tuning vs BEADGCF etc tuning, so I'd say the bass is designed to go either way without much of a hassle. it's just the usual setups. You know, nut, truss rod(s), bridge etc.

Unfortunately my luck wasn't with me and I had to pay more than $750 for mine used. Of course it was like new, but it had a couple of high frets and I decided to have it pleked which added an additional $200 to the already high price. No matter. I was in love and couldn't live without it! :)

Yes, if you love to experiment with solos and chords and things like that a 7 string is just the ticket. I'm still not quite used to mine yet, because I always feel like I don't know what to do with the extra string (mostly been a 6 string player). I'm just going to have to sit down and woodshed all the 7 string chord forms one of these days, that's all there is to it!

4. Which switch is that? I honestly don't know the function of most of the switches/knobs. I have a PDF of the GTBD-7 wiring diagram, but I don't understand them so it didn't help me.

5. Aldrnari

Aldrnari

Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks to the both of you :)
    And geez that GTBD-7 looks to be one hell of a bass... I think I will stick to a cheaper 7 string, no matter the quality, for now.
    Unless its actually falling apart I will be happy with it, its not going to replace my 5 anyway.
    Thanks again

6. IronSpatula

IronSpatula Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    Look up Bass Mods. I've never played one but it might be better than Raven West, probably is better than Antoniotsai. ;)

IMO a used GT-7 (non-BD) is probably your best bet. You can probably find one for not much more than the others mentioned and it will be significantly better. But if you do find a BD for cheap, might as well...

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021