1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

71 Jazz - new pickups, rewiring, or something else??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by simpytime, Jul 24, 2012.

1. simpytime

simpytime

Dec 4, 2010
    Hi - I have a 71 Jazz bass that just doesn't sound good. The only way I can describe it is it sounds very thin - I play through either a 71 Bassman 50 or an Ampeg B100R. When I play my other guitars (86 P Bass, 86 Kubicki ExFactor, new 4003) through these amps, they sound great. Very punchy and in the case of the P, woody. So I know my amps, while not the greatest, are not the problem.

So here's my question: what's the best way to punch up the sound of the Jazz: new pickups, professional rewinding of the old pickups, or something else altogether, like a pre-amp? Ideally, I'd like the Jazz to have more of a P Bass or Joe Osborn sound (even though I play with my fingers exclusively, I'd love to get something that approaches a pick kind of sound).

One last question: I'm a bit obsessive about keeping this guitar as original as possible. Does that make rewinding a better idea than new pickups, or once you make any change, does it not really matter which change you make?

I love playing this guitar when it's not plugged in; it's just a dream to play. But I never play it out because it sounds so bad! Please help! Thanks in advance.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    re-winding would be way more destructive to "stock" status than just replacing them and safely stashing the originals.

so even the ric sounds fatter than this jazz? it may be time to get it looked at, to make sure the pickups aren't broken or the wiring isn't messed up.