1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

71 Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jphilauren, Aug 4, 2012.

1. jphilauren

jphilauren

Nov 8, 2007
    I have a 71 Jazz bass which has a weak neck pickup. Was considering having it rewound but decided to remove both pickups , save them and replace them with a new set.
    There is a sound difference between 60's and 70's Jazz pickups, hence companies are winding pickups mostly for the 60's sound.
    Being that my bass is a 71 and knowing that Fender used new and older dated parts should I consider this bass as a 60's style pickup?

2. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    if you are looking at replacements...look at Lollar pickups..the choice of going underwound /standard / over wound is up to you..sorry cant help you out there!
    Good Luck

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the 60's vs 70's wind is mostly marketing for underwound and standard wind. a 71 has pickups that arent really different in sound,construction,# of winds than a set for 66. if you want something close to the originals, get an underwound set from someone. my own preference is buying late 70s early 80s sets off of ebay. they sell for only marginally more than a boutique set and sound more correct. although if i was you, id just get the neck pickup rewound.

4. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I woulod replace both pickups then put the stock ones on ebay. some vintage Fender nut will pay $500 - 600 for them, maybe more.

5. jphilauren

jphilauren

Nov 8, 2007
    I thought of just holding onto the pickups since I might not get a match having the one pickup rewound
    Then if I sold the bass I'd have the original pickups saved

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if youre sending it to someone that knows what theyre doing, youll get a match. get a multimeter and get the dcr of the pickup that still works and tell whoever you want something that matches the other pickup. theyll also be able to see how many turns were originally on there. a functioning rewound pickup is worth more than one that doesnt work. i had duncan rewind the neck pickup of my 62 jazz and i asked for a specific dcr range and they nailed it. that pickup sounds nothing like any of the aftermarket sets.

7. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    NOOOOOO!!!!!!! Keep the pups you will wan't it ALL original one day..

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    What pickup spacing do you have? My '71 Jazz has '60's spacing. If I were you, and I had '60's spacing I'd go that route, if '70's spacing I'd consider that pickup voicing. I recently got a close look at the new D'Addario pickups, they offer you a choice of the two. I'd say pull the old ones, rewind the dead one at your leisure, and check out your options. There's a whole thread on jazz replacement pickups here on TB.

9. jphilauren

jphilauren

Nov 8, 2007
    I checked pu position appears to be 70's spacing.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I had Fralins in my CIJ 62 Reissue Jazz. They sounded awesome.

Even beefier than real 60's Fender PU's...

but as a vintage Fender enthusiast, if it were me, I'd just send off the original to get rewound by Fralin...it'll run ya around the same amount as a new set anyways- maybe a little more expensive though.

11. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002