1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD '75 Mocha Jazz

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by tbassist, Apr 3, 2018.

1. tbassist

tbassist

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    Price:
    $3280.00
    Strings:
    I Purchased this bass in Asheville North Carolina from its original owner who used it playing folk music throughout the Northeast. I love this bass and wouldn't be selling it if it were not for having to get my teeth worked on. Another reason, to be honest, why the bass is going up for sale is that it's too darn clean. I'm always worried about scratching it. The original owner had some sort of protective backing on the instrument that was removed before I purchased it. It does have some wear on the lower horn and body, but the wear is from the original hardshell case not providing enough cushion over the years. Therefore when I ship the bass, I Will probably have to ship it in a gig bag or newer case, and ship the 0HSC separately.

The original owner installed an extra string tree for the A string which I have removed. It left a small hole. Also it did not come with the original bridge pick up ash tray. Thats it. Everything else is stock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. tbassist

tbassist

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    There's a crack in the Maple between the nut and the inlay of the first fret.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    tommyr01, JCBass and SirMjac28 like this.
  3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I've played this bass and it is fantastic. An awesome bass and a rock solid seller to boot!

SirMjac28 and tbassist like this.
  4. tbassist

tbassist

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    Thanks Jake!

J.Wolf likes this.
  5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    :bassist:

6. eddiebo

eddiebo Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Montclair, NJ
    very nice, what is the weight?

7. tbassist

tbassist

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    Light. I'll check in a bit, but I'd say 7.5 to 8.3 for a circus sideshow guess

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I'll take it if you can give me two months to pay I have to go do some questionable things in a few back alleys :)

tommyr01 and joebar like this.
  9. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Nice bass but that crack is in a tell tale spot. How is the truss rod? Were the markers ever removed?

JCBass likes this.
  10. tbassist

tbassist

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    I think the truss rod is fine and the markers have not been removed to my knowledge. The neck is straight and set up with low action

11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Nice bass. Nice gig, too. How long have you been with them? Can’t imagine how much fun (and challenging) it would be to step into an organization that kind of lineage.

12. tbassist

tbassist

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    Thanks, it was pretty nerve wracking for sure. Thankfully the guys were and are very supportive. Now I've been playing with them for a year and a half ( I'm still the kid) and the shows keep getting better and better. I have plenty of freedom to stretch out, or if I feel like it, keep it reigned in.

13. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Toronto
    That was my question too ?
    That crack (fissure line) looks ominous and likely not just cosmetic ?
    I've never seen that before. Was the bass stressed in the neck too when it sustained the 2 deep body gouges ??

14. tbassist

tbassist

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    The gouges are from the case padding wearing out and it being carried around in it for years. I would not recommend anyone buy a used vintage instrument without it being personally inspected by the buyer and a professional.

15. tbassist

tbassist

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    Every now and then I see a 75 Mocha/Maple Precision for sale on this site. My goal was to find one so I could have matching Basses. Now my goal is to fix my teeth.

But, I'm not a sales person and I don't want to become one for the purpose of selling the bass.

If you're a reputable buyer upon receiving payment I'll ship the bass insured, ( I'll pay shipping) and I'll give you 24 hours to check it out. If you don't like it, return it on your dime, and upon its arrival back home, I'll refund all of your money. We can use PayPal or money orders.

I want the person that invests in this piece to feel comfortable buying a used vintage instrument. One, which in 10 years could be worth far more than it is today.

16. bhoff5150

bhoff5150 Supporting Member

Is that a bullet style truss rod showing on the headstock or is the walnut plug for the truss rod fill missing? It has a 4 bolt neck joint, but appears to have a bullet truss rod which would be more of a 3 bolt neck joint thing. Just curious because I've always wondered what my headstock would look like if the walnut plug were removed (I have a 4 bolt neck). Maybe it would look just like this.....

Cool color and cool bass by the way.....

17. tbassist

tbassist

May 1, 2010
    Waynesville NC
    i'm 6'6"
    I don't know about that. But I don't think it's been altered in any way.

I'm on the road (Tucson) right now and can send more photos upon returning home

18. Acoop

Acoop Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2012
    No, this is all original. In 75, Fender, went to a three bolt neck plate on the J-bass and a truss rod at the headstock. There was never a 'walnut pug' on these basses. ... I'm a little surprised that this is a 4-bolt 75 J-bass. ... My 74-J bass has a 647xxx serial. But, noted, that during the 74-75 switch over nothing was consident. ... The crack at the first fret is cosmetic and I doubt it'll get any worse.

19. bhoff5150

bhoff5150 Supporting Member

Agree. I have a 4 bolt 75. It was manufactured during the 6th week of 1975 and is likely one of last 4 bolt necks. I have never seen a 4 bolt neck with a bullet truss rod. We all know Fender is famous for doing whatever they need to do to eat up inventory on parts.

It’s a cool bass. I’ve never seen that neck joint/truss rod combo before. That may make it even more desirable for someone.

JCBass likes this.
  20. kleingeld

kleingeld Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    The crack in the first fret might have something to do with the former A string retainer. Pulling the A string toward the head would have put added pressure right along the line where the crack is. With the retainer removed you'd think the crack should be stable now.