1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

$75 or we'll let your house burn down

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Oct 6, 2010.

1. This story is just sickening.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life

Firefighters in rural Tennessee let a home burn to the ground last week because the homeowner hadn't paid a $75 fee.

Gene Cranick of Obion County and his family lost all of their possessions in the Sept. 29 fire, along with three dogs and a cat.

"They could have been saved if they had put water on it, but they didn't do it," Cranick told MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.

The fire started when the Cranicks' grandson was burning trash near the family home. As it grew out of control, the Cranicks called 911, but the fire department from the nearby city of South Fulton would not respond.

"We wasn't on their list," he said the operators told him.

Cranick, who lives outside the city limits, admits he "forgot" to pay the annual $75 fee. The county does not have a county-wide firefighting service, but South Fulton offers fire coverage to rural residents for a fee.

Cranick says he told the operator he would pay whatever is necessary to have the fire put out.

His offer wasn't accepted, he said.

The fire fee policy dates back 20 or so years.

"Anybody that's not inside the city limits of South Fulton, it's a service we offer. Either they accept it or they don't," said South Fulton Mayor David Crocker.

The fire department's decision to let the home burn was "incredibly irresponsible," said the president of an association representing firefighters.

"Professional, career firefighters shouldn’t be forced to check a list before running out the door to see which homeowners have paid up," Harold Schatisberger, International Association of Fire Fighters president, said in a statement. "They get in their trucks and go."

Firefighters did eventually show up, but only to fight the fire on the neighboring property, whose owner had paid the fee.

"They put water out on the fence line out here. They never said nothing to me. Never acknowledged. They stood out here and watched it burn," Cranick said.

South Fulton's mayor said that the fire department can't let homeowners pay the fee on the spot, because the only people who would pay would be those whose homes are on fire.

Cranick, who is now living in a trailer on his property, says his insurance policy will help cover some of his lost home.

"Insurance is going to pay for what money I had on the policy, looks like. But like everything else, I didn't have enough."

After the blaze, South Fulton police arrested one of Cranick's sons, Timothy Allen Cranick, on an aggravated assault charge, according to WPSD-TV, an NBC station in Paducah, Ky.

Police told WPSD that the younger Cranick attacked Fire Chief David Wilds at the firehouse because he was upset his father's house was allowed to burn.

WPSD-TV reported that Wilds was treated and released.

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    yeah, saw that a few days ago. I'd call it extortion. I mean by comparison, 75 bucks is a pittance, but that's not the point...who ok'ed this policy, and who is the heartless bastard majority who thought it was a good idea? If it was only about the money, the guy was willing to pay anything to save his home. It certainly is not about principle as no lesson was really learned here except those in power are indeed cruel assholes.

I don't care how "remote" you are. Firemen have a civic duty when they take that job.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    those fire fighters should all be fired, what a disgrace

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... :eyebrow:

because they " forgot " to pay a $75.00 yearly fee ... ??

wow , that sucks .

5. I agree 100%

I don't think the firefighters like the policy that's in place. It's more like the local politicians that are all for it. If anyone should be fired it's the local councilmen and maybe even the Fire Chief.

6. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Such fail, horrible unnecessary cruelty, I hope whomever had the deciding word on this course are proud of the results of their inaction, always the bucks :rollno:

7. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    By the way, the man didn't "forget" to pay the $75, he refused to pay it. I heard this on the radio yesterday and they played an interview with him where he said that he didn't pay the $75 cause he figured the fire department would put the fire out anyways, even if he didn't pay.

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    OK, I can see that. But SOMEONE should be held acountable for this. Jeeze, I hope that guy had good insurance.

9. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    That scenario makes quite a difference, talk about 'cut off your nose to spite your face' :meh: so I guess he was given fair warning of his fire cover and what it meant?

10. In the video interview on that same page, it was mentioned, either by him or Keith Oberman, that he "forgot" to pay. Is there a link to the story you heard? I'd like to compare.

He said in the interview with MSNBC that the insurance would help pay for a lot but not everything. And I agree with you that someone needs to be held accountable for this. It's a bad policy. There should either be some kind of waiver to sign to waive the coverage and fee or it should be added to your taxes, IMO. What if someone died or someone was hurt? Who's responsible then?

11. mid_life_crisis

mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    Letting him lose his belongings because he didn't pay his fee is one thing, but the family pets? I hope PITA camps out on that fire chief's door for a month.

What they should have as a policy is either pay X dollars up front as kind of an insurance policy or pay XX dollars as a fee if they actually have to come out. That way if you want to take your chances that you'll never have a fire you can choose to not pay up front, but if you gamble and lose you still get the fire fought. It just costs more that way.

Great. Now I have images of fire trucks equipped with credit card readers.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    wether he did not pay , or forgot, or there was a vote, I didn't get into wether this guy was a resident when this was voted on and I don't really care. There's a matter of principle and of what is right and wrong. The fire dept. had already brought the trucks out there, purposely waiting inactive until it spread to someone that paid property.

That is extortion-like mafia tactic right there. Lame. Wrong. And, imo, inhumane.

Is it really so black and white to some people that it's ok for him to get royally ****ed because he didn't pay? I mean, really? Come on now. What if YOU "forgot" to pay, or did not pay on principle? I did not know fire dept's were pay-to-spray. Most of the ones around here are volunteer. Those volunteers apparently care more than these chuckleheads.

13. Please copy and paste the text.

Gene Cranick of Obion County and his family lost all of their possessions in the Sept. 29 fire, along with three dogs and a cat.

"They could have been saved if they had put water on it, but they didn't do it," Cranick told MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.

The fire started when the Cranicks' grandson was burning trash near the family home. As it grew out of control, the Cranicks called 911, but the fire department from the nearby city of South Fulton would not respond.

"We wasn't on their list," he said the operators told him.

Cranick, who lives outside the city limits, admits he "forgot" to pay the annual $75 fee. The county does not have a county-wide firefighting service, but South Fulton offers fire coverage to rural residents for a fee.

Cranick says he told the operator he would pay whatever is necessary to have the fire put out.

His offer wasn't accepted, he said.

The fire fee policy dates back 20 or so years.

"Anybody that's not inside the city limits of South Fulton, it's a service we offer. Either they accept it or they don't," said South Fulton Mayor David Crocker.

The fire department's decision to let the home burn was "incredibly irresponsible," said the president of an association representing firefighters.

"Professional, career firefighters shouldnÂ’t be forced to check a list before running out the door to see which homeowners have paid up," Harold Schatisberger, International Association of Fire Fighters president, said in a statement. "They get in their trucks and go."

Firefighters did eventually show up, but only to fight the fire on the neighboring property, whose owner had paid the fee.

"They put water out on the fence line out here. They never said nothing to me. Never acknowledged. They stood out here and watched it burn," Cranick said.

South Fulton's mayor said that the fire department can't let homeowners pay the fee on the spot, because the only people who would pay would be those whose homes are on fire.

Cranick, who is now living in a trailer on his property, says his insurance policy will help cover some of his lost home.

"Insurance is going to pay for what money I had on the policy, looks like. But like everything else, I didn't have enough."

After the blaze, South Fulton police arrested one of Cranick's sons, Timothy Allen Cranick, on an aggravated assault charge, according to WPSD-TV, an NBC station in Paducah, Ky.

Police told WPSD that the younger Cranick attacked Fire Chief David Wilds at the firehouse because he was upset his father's house was allowed to burn.

WPSD-TV reported that Wilds was treated and released.

14. OK.....

15. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Reminds me of people that think that tragedy will not strike their family or household. Totally unrealistic.

If you don't agree with the neighborhood restrictions, or fees-organize your neighborhood & have them changed-after paying up, or move!
    Complaining while sitting at the kitchen table will not make the world a better place...

16. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Even so, have a heart, especially when you're putting out the fire next door.

Put out the fire and then charge him the fee + exorbitant late fee. The way they did it costs everyone more in the long run. The fire department and city council will now have to spend a considerable amount of time dealing with the media from this instead of working on more useful things. Sure the guy will recoup much of the loss from insurance but where does the insurance company get the money: the other policy holders. I can almost guarantee that premiums on home owner's policies will go up in that area.

Then there's this whole idea of a community. You know, the concept that we live near one another and try to help each other out when we can, especially in times of emergency/disaster. Sure, the guy was stupid for not paying the $75 but jeez . . .

17. He gambled and he lost. No sympathy from me. And offering to pay the fee when the fire trucks come out? That's like not buying insurance until after your car is totaled. "Oh, I'll pay the $100 premium now that my $30,000 car is totalled".

18. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wow Jim, heartless. Sorry.

19. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I think that if there had been a person in the house they would have gone in to save his/her life.

Frankly though, no one here knows how many potential warnings the man got to pay the fee, if he voted for the fee initially, if many residents in the area pay the fee, etc. All we're getting right now is a heartstring tugging style story from msnbc to stoke some controversy (yes, pun was intended).

20. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    He's right. It's the entire principle behind insurance.