Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

76 Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doc_solomon, Nov 29, 2003.

1. doc_solomon

doc_solomon

Sep 22, 2002
    First of all, I'm new here and would like to say hi to everyone. I have been a lurker for ages though.

Now to my question. I know this guy who wants to get rid of a 76 (at least the serial starts with 76) Jazz bass and i was wondering what it is worth.

It looks pretty much like the 75 reissue but the block inlays look like yellow mother of pearl (if that makes any sence) and it doesn't have the pickup covers. Its in pretty good condition except that some finish is missing where the neck becomes headstock and it has a chip in the hgeadstock.

I really liked how this bass has a fatter neck than my Geddy Lee and it looks really nice.

Do 76 Jazzes have any known issues and is it worth even thinking about getting one?
    I think I could probably buy it off him if i knew what to offer.

Thanks alot,
    Mark

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    pic?

i would say go for it.

steve

3. in 1974 fender switched over to 3-bolt neck plates (i could be wrong though, don't quote me on this) and basses made after '74 are worth less for that reason. if it's a 4-bolt neck then good for him :D

4. doc_solomon

doc_solomon

Sep 22, 2002
    Ok, thanks.

Is the three bolt design worse than 4 bolt? Also what kind of money would be appropriate to give for this bass?

5. The 4 bolt necks are more stable. Thus the price difference.

There is a used (micro tilt neck) 76 Jazz bass for sale at

http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/fender_1976_jazz_bass_sunburst_rw_671795.htm

I myself, wouldn't pay more than $750.00 for any Fender bass from the mid 70's.

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    I have a '76 Jazz and it's got some serious flaws that I've heard are rampant through mid-70's era Fenders. First, the nut was cut badly, so the strings are just off-center. The open A string rattles like a Vibraslap. There's enough space in the neck pocket to store an extra drummer, in case your first one combusts. And the first position is slightly out of tune, making "Key of F" one of the least favorite things I like to hear from bandmates.

So, beware. If you've got the time to spend with the one you're thinking about, check it out as thoroughly as possible. Definitely check the neck for straightness. Twisty necks are a common problem.

I've not had any problems with the tri-bolt mounting, though the microtilt "feature" is a waste, IMO.

Even with all these problems, I still dig my bass. It's Fenderiffic! About 18 months ago, I saw a '76 in beat-up shape hanging on the wall of GC, for $1750.