1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'77 Vintage Modified Jazz, anyone having neck binding cracking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 77 StingRayBass, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Noticed a Squire '77 modified Jazz Bass at a Guitar Center had the neck binding cracking in a couple of different spots along side the neck. I know, got to consider the store, BUT, has anyone who takes care of their basses have this problem?

2. chilipepperman

chilipepperman

May 16, 2011
    Hey Stingray, I own one of these VM 77's and haven't noticed cracking on mine. Have you bought one too or were you just considering it until you saw that one at GC?

Also, do you have any pics of your "trusty Ol' 77"

3. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Yo' Chili,
    Haven't bought one, have been seriously considering getting one, and just happened to check one out at G.C. If this is a problem, I'm really gonna have to think twice...
    Thank's for the info!
    And here's my '77

Attached Files:

4. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    i bought a squire VM ~8months ago and it's been fairly solid...no neck problems although the action isn't quite stellar. also, when purchasing the bass, i went through 3 at different locations that were unacceptable (grossly mismatched body woods, slightly displaced neck so strings were shifted to g-string side of neck, one even had a big knot in the body wood) before finding the one i bought.

so, although they are a great deal for the price, quality varies considerably.

5. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i had one and didnt have any problems with cracking, although the binding was very uneven going up the neck.
    i sold it to fund another bass, but im about to get another one.

6. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    So...
    I wondering if the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass would be a better buy. But, I dig that Black/maple combination...

7. chilipepperman

chilipepperman

May 16, 2011
    Stingray, As I said before, I've had no issues with mine. It is a great bass if you can hand pick one until you are satisfied the one you want is good to go. Mine is the Black on Black with Maple Fretboard.
    I also have a Vintage Mod P bass in white with black pickguard and rosewood neck. The P has an Agathis Body and is light as a feather. My VM Jazz 77 is quite the opposite. While it has an Agathis body too,this bass seems heavy as in 70's les paul heavy plus 1-2 lbs. Good luck, also check out you tube to see some guys that play a Jazz 77.

8. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    woops! i should modify my critique above. actually i was looking at and eventually bought a VM jazz, not the '77.

so maybe that bounces you back to the '77:confused:

9. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Thanks Chili. I really dig that '77, and that binding issue sorta scared me. But that said, I think I'll still move foward and grab one!

10. chilipepperman

chilipepperman

May 16, 2011
    How much are they runnning in your neck of the woods?
    I think I got mine for about $279 and my Vintage Modified P bass for $259.

Also, I am pretty sure Fender/Squier has a decent warranty policy. I had to get 2 Classic Vibe Telecaster guitars to get a keeper. My first one had issues, miss drilled switch control plate screw holes and a malfunctioning tone control pot. But other than those issues, it was a nice guitar. The replacement one is awesome.