1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

8 or 4 ohm cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonasp, Nov 7, 2004.

1. I've searched and searched, but while I think this has been done, I couldnt find anything.
    I have 2 8 ohm cabs, an Avatar 210 and 115. Im thinking of replacing the 115 with a 212. Should I get the 212 in 8 or 4 ohms? would there be a difference in volume (i could just adjust the levels on the power amp to level it out)? or should i stick with 8 ohm? I have a power amp and couls use either one, but i think 4 ohm might be better for me, just in case i want to buy a new 210 and get that in 4 ohm also, just to get more power.

Any opinions/suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks, Pete

2. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think you answered your own question. What are you thinking of doing? If you're seriously thinking of getting another 4-ohm 2x10 later on, then getting a 4-ohm 2x12 wouldn't be a bad idea. I think it all depends on what your situation is. If you have bad GAS like the rest of us on this forum, that won't be the last amp set-up that you go through either. In a few months you may end up with an integrated head again that may not be 2-ohm stable, and then you're screwed because your cabs are both 4-ohms. I mean, I think you have ask yourself, what are you volume requirements? If you play in a jazz combo then one of those speakers will be fine, if you play in a death metal band then you'll want as much speaker as you can get with as much clean power running through them (*within reason*) as possible

3. I guess I did answer my own question. Thanks for the input. :bassist:

4. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    what amp head do you have?

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Depends on what you're using as your amp. I use two 4 ohm cabs, but I drive them with a QSC PLX3002, and run one channel per cab, so it works as 4 ohms per channel. If you are using a one-channel amp and want to use two cabs, you'll need 8 ohm cabs, unless your amp is stable down to 2 ohms.

6. My amp is stable down to 2 ohms, but I run a cab per channel. So, I'm thinking that 4ohm cabs would be the way to go. :)

7. If your amp is stable down to 2 ohms then by all means go 4 ohm per cab. You will get more clean headroom, not that you need it with all that power.