1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

808 kick bass on a sub bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by [CRTL+ALT+DEL], Mar 3, 2018.

1. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

[CRTL+ALT+DEL] mad scientist

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    help me think here. lets say i have a bass tuned down much lower or an octave pedal. how can i make it sound more like an 808 kick aka bass hit? a compressor sustainer seems to be the first thing that comes to mind, second a static low pass filter like the iron ether xerograph deluxe. for pitch envelope i'm open to ideas. fretless would help to try and get that effect manually. but can you think of pedals that could help me?

it's always been a dream of mine to play 808 style bass on strings to get it that organic human feel. like someone playing a real violin instead of playing the "violin" setting on a synth.

2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    If you want pitch control, a whammy is your best friend, and might be able to pull the whole thing off with a low pass filter after it.

A Broughton Synth Voice has the balls you need in its sub voice, you'd have to play the pitch change tho. Starting with a bent up string and relaxing to normal may work.

And yes you need something to help that initial hit, a pick or a hard pluck and compressor could do it.

3. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    For pitch I was thinking more like an envelope controlled pitch shifter. Maybe one with an expression input for switch up or down. It would be cool if you could have control of gliss speed, and pitch to say 3rds or 5ths. But maybe a whammy and mad skills could be work just as well

4. baSfo

baSfo

Aug 13, 2017
    Italy
    DOD Meatbox! And/or an over the top compression (Vox Snake Charmer + meatbox = HUGE kick drum).

5. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Hey, sooo. Quick side question. Does the meatbox push the low frequency like an eq? Or is it a synth and just generating an arbitrary note? I always was confused about that part

6. baSfo

baSfo

Aug 13, 2017
    Italy
    Two of the knobs are eq boost or cut (30hz + 60hz), you can use the octave knob as a wet/dry blend. I think the sub octave is synthesized.

7. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Yes, there is a synth sub octave, but the 30 and 60Hz EQ controls are applied to both the synth and clean signal per the wet/dry blend.

baSfo likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021