8x10 into 2 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TsunamiBomb, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Hello. I really don't know much about the insides of amps and such but recently lugging around my 8x10 cabinet has been a pain in the butt. I told my guitarist that I was going to sell the cabinet and get 4x10 and he suggested that I convert the 8x10 into 2 4x10s. Is this possible? Is it worth the time and energy doing? If anyone could answer my question that would be great. Thanks!
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Possible...probably, depending on which 8x10 you have...a sealed Ampeg 810...very possible. A ported 8x10 with ports at one end...less possible.

One thing is guaranteed...the two 4x10s will be worth less on the used market than an intact 8x10. Well, maybe it's not guaranteed because some people will grossly overpay for things...

Depending on what speakers are in your cabinet, it might be possible to buy two empty 4x10s...or an empty 4x10 and two empty 2x10s (gives you more options) or even four 2x10s for that matter and transfer the speakers over.

Without any info (your profile is blank, you didn't say what kind of 8x10 it is, etc.) one can only speculate.

If you want to do some reading on the subject, there was a recent thread where a fellow cut his Eden D210T in half making a pair of 1x10s...
  3. It's an ampeg 8x10 cab. Thanks a lot for the information, I will definately read that post.