9 / 18 Volt switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by derrick007, Jan 23, 2009.

1. derrick007

derrick007

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    Has anyone done a switch that kicks on a second 9v to your pickups, what do you guys think that would do. Im thinking about trying it, why not after all. Only thing is, if i can run 18v, then im not sure why i would want to go to 9v, but it still might be interesting.

2. Why would you want to do that? I can understand an active/passive switch though. But if you have room inside for 18v then just go 18v. That is unless you want to prove the actual measurable side by side difference between a 9v and 18v.
    Now that I could get behind. There's always been a claim of more headroom, but I never took the time do the experiment.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Dirk

3. From what i have heard, 18V simply gives you more headroom than 9V...

If you have the option to have 18V, i don't see any reason whatsoever to ever want to play in 9V mode as opposed to 18V mode.

4. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I've never seen it done, but I would imagine it would be easy to do. A switch that activates another battery in series, or even smarter, a switch that activates a voltage doubler circuit (drains a single battery twice as fast).

5. I would recommend a simple series/parallel switch for the batteries.
    In series, thats 18V.
    In parallel, thats 9V, and the battery will last twice as long.

FWIW, there was a guy on the Warmoth forum that did a 9V/18V switch, and he pretty much just did it for the hell of it.

6. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    It may be useful to be able to have a switch that switches from one battery to the other. If you gig a lot, the axillary battery might save the night!

7. What results are you expecting?

8. derrick007

derrick007

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    I'm not really looking for anything specifically, just thought it might be interesting, and good for battery saving, so you can just switch to 18 v when you really need to, and generally run it at 9v.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021