$900.00 For a 30 day supply of pills!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Swung by the pharmacy "to get my prescription filled..." They told me my insurance wouldn't pay for this particular med. I asked "why?" They said because of the cost. I asked how much? (thinking I'd just pay for it myself.) I almost passed out when she told me. I can't always get what I want!

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I'd make a joke about the American medical system but there is a good chance I'd pay for the pill in my province as well... and I don't have a good joke ready about capitalism so this is all you get. At least it was free though.

;) :D

3. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

This would also work in the "I'm Angry" thread.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You probably would have to pay. There is no generic for this one either.

MJ5150 likes this.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    GregC likes this.
  6. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    You should call your doctor and tell them. Sometimes they can write a scrip for a generic, other times they have "free samples" the drug company gives them.

DwaynieAD, Pilgrim and Clark Dark like this.
  7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Try a reputable Canadian pharmacy. The cost difference can be huge.

slobake likes this.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I highlighted the part I wanted to respond to. A few years back I had reached the maximum of my prescription plan.... in June of that year. Since my plan goes from Jan thru Dec, I was looking at six months of me paying 100% of my four meds I take for blood pressure, cholesterol and asthma.... which was no cheap date. I called the receptionist at my doctor's office, explaied what was up and within a week I had a six month supply of all four, for free.

Makes me wonder how the drug reps can give out so many free samples but the pharmacy bends you over.

9. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I had a similar thing happen. That's why I always tell my doctor if something is too expensive. He doesn't like the insurance companies either so he tries to help out when he can.

PortlandBass77 likes this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    This is one of the many reasons we need a health care system as opposed to a disease maintenance one.

I've been learning way too much about how the pharmaceutical companies and agribusinesses operate over this past year. No conspiracy theories. There are incredibly evil things going on, and they're fueled by the almighty $$$$.

11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    It is criminal the way special interests have taken over our process making it possible for these kinds of things to happen.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Anti-capitalism??? Why that's down right un-....

Immigrant likes this.
  13. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    ited?

96tbird and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  14. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Become friends with someone from India. They can purchase meds over there without a doctor's prescription for pennies on the dollar.

15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my son has run into this problem twice. the first time, his doctor appealed the insurance company and - get this - the manufacturer of the drug said they'd supply my son till he was approved or would give it to him for $30 a month (which is less than 10% of the cost) for as long as he was on it.

the second time, they won the appeal. the doctor tells the insurance company the reason he/she chose the drug they did over other, cheaper drugs. if there is no other drug for a condition, i believe the insurance companies have to supply the drug prescribed. in the case of my son, he had some issues that made the cheaper drug dangerous.

16. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    It's nuts. I briefly took a prescription med that is typically used as a maintenance medication for a chronic illness. At a usual adult dose, it is almost $1000 a month - at Costco. I think the regular pharmacy prices were nearly double that.

I took it for a couple of weeks, never getting beyond the 'sample' stage. The cost of the stuff was enough to scare me into getting well in a hurry.

17. The American medical system sucks, I am so lucky I have had minimal need for medical care... The only time I've ever been in a hospital was when I gashed open my finger on broken glass.....

18. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    each month set aside cash you would spend for stupid stuff you probably won't need. then use it when you need meds. i'd rather pay like that then give 10% of my salary for basic health care services and then again few% for added insurance and that only covers my visits to the doctor. if i have to pay for something serious i'd be f****. that's the reality of countries with "free" healthcare. yeah, usa has some stupid stuff with health insurance. if i could make a choice i'd would not pay this obligatory health insurance for lousy services, i'd put 10% of my salary in my savings and then spend it for when i need healthcare.

bottom line, don't whine about the whole system, i could be worse.

19. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

DiabolusInMusic and Immigrant like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021