1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'94 Warwick Corvette Neck Crack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stabbicus, Mar 26, 2009.

1. stabbicus

stabbicus

Jan 18, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I already posted this over at the Warwick forum, but I thought I'd give my Talkbass brethren a chance to comment. So here we go....

I bought a '94 Corvette Proline from Guitar Center for $100. Why so cheap? Well then neck has a crack in it from what appears to be pressure from the truss rod. Check the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you guys feel this is fixable? I know I'd have to take it to a luthier. I'd really like to save the neck if at all possible. It's such a friggin sweet neck.

Other than crack in the neck, the bass has some other issues. It appears that someone had decided they didn't like the way the bass looked, so they stained it. Both the neck and the body. Here's more pictures:

l_1f50006060b44c35bb4396c579b6fb2e.

l_22f492cdc1c84d359d40f1725d5a89d3.

l_9b725257732c4fb0aff74eec16b12d6e.

I was thinking about sanding it down and restoring to what I think is it's original oil finish. What do you guys think?

2. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    should be fixable but it depends on the nature of the crack.... that point in the neck is always going to be under pressure so it's always going to be a problem. i'm sure if you take it to the right guy he can do something about it, failing that if you just fancy a bass to use for yourself and don't care too much about re-sale/value then you could just fix it up as best you can...

but on a bass that schweet I'd definitely take it to someone.

as for the finish, them stains can get preeetty deep so you might risk taking off a lot of wood, i know sometimes you can lose some of the shape, but again it's hard to say without seeing your exact bass and it might be a risk you just have to take. might be able to strip it with something but that might damage the grain.

good luck either way, if you have to take it to a guy to fix the neck you could ask him about the finish etc :)

3. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    I would love to see that in original oil finish, let that wood show!

4. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    I hope you did not pay to much for it. NEVER MIND saw you payed $100. Nooiice!

5. Are you sure that's a 94? Or even a Warwick? The neck wood looks very odd to me- not like wenge at all.

6. stabbicus

stabbicus

Jan 18, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah I am positive it's a '94 Warwick Corvette Proline (standard serial number between tuning pegs, last numbers being 94). I paid $100 for it as I stated above. It has all of the Warwick hardware (gold and faded) The W on the headstock. MEC Pickups...they say something like Dynamic Correction on the top left of them. Control cavity with the plastic cover and two tabs. Push/Pull active/passive volume, with a pickup blend pot, and stacked bass/treble. Recessed straplocks. Original brass JAN. Two piece bridge with the W on it. The finger board is wenge. I'm not 100% positive about the neck construction, but I believe it is maple with maybe bubinga or wenge stripes. The body....well...I can't tell because of the stain, but it may be either bubinga, cherry, or ash.

Any other questions on whether it's a Warwick or not? ;)

7. Sounds about right then- I don't recall seeing any maple necks back then, but it's certainly possible. Post progress pics. :)

8. stabbicus

stabbicus

Jan 18, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Will do...I just need to find a good luthier in my area. I'm gonna start sanding on the body this weekend. I may end up letting the luthier sand the neck, if the crack is fixable. The frets need to be dressed as well.

9. stabbicus

stabbicus

Jan 18, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    OK, so I sanded the body down this afternoon. I haven't touched the neck and don't plan to until I can get it to a luthier. I'm unsure what kind of wood this is...maybe you guys can help? I realize that the grain is a little more pronounced because it was stained, but I think I like it. Check the pics:

l_6010f752c19d47e1aec01baa749d7fde.

l_90008fed718e45c39ebdfe7ebd21419b.

Should I continue sanding and try to get all of the stain out, or do you guys like the way it looks?

10. Id say ash but eyes isnt all that good.

11. stabbicus

stabbicus

Jan 18, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. Any suggestions on the grain? More sanding or leave it?

12. stabbicus

stabbicus

Jan 18, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    The folks on the Warwick forum seem to concur with you, Arpeggiator, it is Swamp Ash. Bump for opinions on the grain...more sanding or leave it?

13. vicvon

vicvon

Dec 13, 2008
    I think I would stop sanding. I like the way the stain brought out the grain.

14. Wolfbrutha

Wolfbrutha

Jun 27, 2010
    Hey,

I have just purchased a Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string with an ash body and wenge neck. The problem is the truss rod is broken inside the neck. Can this be fix? Is it worth it? Where can I buy a used neck for this bass? How about a new one? Please Help as I want to use it for a festival coming up in August 2010. Thank you

Wolfbrutha!