1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A 5 String Bass Question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by martybernal, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Ok, well I said I'd never have any interest to switch or try playing a 5 string. Now I am considering it. I have been playing 4 string for 25 years, but lately some of the music I am interested in uses the 5 string. What would be a good 5 string bass to buy that won't break my bank? I currently am playing a Schecter C-4 right now, I'd like to find a 5 string that has a similiar feel. One that is a good slap bass. I am familiar with all the high end stuff, but I don't know if I'll even like playing the 5 string. So I don't want to invest $500+ on it if there's a chance I won't like it well enough to keep it. I am wanting to stay under $300 if possible. Any comments on the 5 strings Rogues? Thanks. Marty B

2. Go used!
    My first (and current) 5 string is an Ibanez ATK 305. Highly recommend it. Cost me around $250 US, but ATK's are the one thing we seem to get better deals on in NZ than in the US!
    Good 5, good for slapping, low $.
    Steve

3. A Peavey Millennium 5 BXP falls in that price range. Or add about 250 to 300 to it and get a Peavey Sirrus BXP 5 if you are playing out. I use one for my main stay on a very wide range of music.

4. rashaefer

rashaefer

Mar 20, 2006
    Chatham, IL
    Just received my 8th bass... it's a Schecter Stilleto Studio 5, my 1st 5 string.... like new condition w/ hard shell case from ebay for $490 shipped. Like you, a little leerie about the 5 but I've got to tell yah, I'm lovin this thing... the neck isn't a big fattie, the string spacing is pretty close, great sustain and we've got tone control out the wassue.... My sound is fat, punchy and LOW... I just purchase a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, and can't wait to hear it... I have the Jazz Flats on all of my basses... overall, I'm extremely pleased with the bass for that kind of money.

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    The neck through Schecter stillettos are really cool. My bass teacher has one of their 6 string versions. He always had the knack of loweing the string action on any bass and making it play like butter... When I tried his out, I really liked it. It is like a Warwick in some ways but doesnt break the bank.
    Try to find something with 35" scale neck. Less of a floppy B string for cheaper basses