Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A+B box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I guess this can go here. I'm looking for a box that can take one signal, and then send it to two locations without degrading the quality too much. Doesn't need to be switchable, just a one input/two output box. That's basically, it, but I don't know if there's a specific name for that to search for, or just have to look for A/B boxes and DIs until the right one comes along?

I imagine it might not be too hard to build one?

edit- http://www.loooper.com/ The ABY box...is this what I'm looking for, or am I missing something?

2. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    You know you can just buy a Y- cable if you don't need to be able to switch amps... and it will only cost you like $2...

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The A/B/Y box will do the trick.

If you have any music stores around that carry a lot of used stuff, they may have a Morley A/B/Y box. I see them all over the place for $20. I bought mine at a garage sale for $1.:D

4. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I use a Lehle A/B box.It is expensive,but if you want a box that won't color your sound,it is the one.

John

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A simple splitter will do the trick. I prefer it over a Y cable because they come undone. Go to Radio Shack, buy a small plastic enclosure and three mono 1/4 jacks. Solder tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve, drill holes in the box and viola. About $7.00 for your solution.

6. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    And the ground loops are free!!!!

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I was talking with Wrong Robot (that was incidental) about doing that. $10 at Radio Shack, and I'd be good to go, and soldering ain' hurt nobody. My only question is would that somehow effect the quality of the signal? I mean, I'm not talking audiophile quality here, but would it be a noticable drop in my signal quality?

8. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Lehle also makes a new passive splitter box called the P-Split.Check-out their website for details on both the Dual A/B and the P-Split at www.lehle.com

They make great products that don't affect your tone!

John

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bing. Have a Morley ABY coming this way. Thanks for the mention, Jeff.

(It's what I want, and used, they go for less than the parts would be at RS.)

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've got a question pertaining to this.

If I were to want a clean signal and dirty signal at the same time, could I do this?

Bass-->Cord-->Y Splitter-->Clean Signal and other jack Dirty Signal

And then put a loooper or somethign to control every thing on the dirty signal so when I hit the loooper, it will turn EVERY PEDAL in the dirty signal off? Maybe a Micro Loooper?

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Easy way to do this, kinda expensive I guess:
    Signal -> Y-cable -> dry signal -> Amp
    ..................|
    ..................V
    ...............Looper -> Clean channel -> Amp
    ..................|
    ..................V
    ........Distortion of choice
    ..................|
    ..................V
    ................Amp

Ray

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The sad thing is, I only have one amp.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Er, hmmm... I'm sure someone with a better idea will come along...

Ray

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Short answer, no.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Aw shucks.

Well thanks for the short answer! :cool:

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There is a way to do it with one amp, though. You'd need a stereo preamp (with two channel silmultaneous output) a power amp and a stereo cab.

I'm pretty sure, since most preamp outs are instrument level, you could put a some effects between the preamp out of the preamp, and preamp in of a power amp, and not have the signal get lost/degraded terribly.

The stereo cab would be a bitch. You see it fairly often in guitar cabs, being wired stereo, but you almost never see them in bass cabinets.

So, short of those three components, there'd be no way to do it with one amp.

17. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But isn't that precisely the effect of a distortion pedal in normal operation (i.e. after the instrument), and without the seperate signal loops?

19. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

You sort of lost me now. I find with my distortion, sometimes the lows roll off or sometimes the highs lose definition, depending on the pedal settings. So with having two channels running in the line selector, it lets one blend as much as the "original" signal vs the "effected" signal - without having to worry about lost highs or lows, or whatever may be the situation. Clean + Envelope, Clean + Distortion, Distortion + Envelope (which sounds different than Distortion to Envelope) series vs parallel, etc, etc.

Not sure if that's what he's going for or not....

20. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    You can use a small mixer to spilit you signal. They generally have stereo outputs.