1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A/B switch? Looper?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eyvindwa, Aug 12, 2007.

1. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Hi. Please bear with me if this is a totally lame question, but being the effects newbie I am, I have not been able to figure this out (no, not even using the "search" button :smug: ). What I want to accomplish is to have a setup in which my signal always runs trough the my sansamp BDDI for a little bit of dirt, except when I am using chorus/flange. What I would like though, is to not have to switch the BDDI off and the chorus on, but instead push a single button to "switch" signal paths.
    HTML:
                                 --> chorus  \
    bass --> (other effects)                   --> amp
                                 --> BDDI    /

Does that make sense? Will an A/B switch do what I need? Or do I need a "looper"? Can anyone reccomend a good product for this?

Thanks.

2. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    If you had a 2 loop, TB looper, you could do it, but you'd have to hit both switches at once (unless you built it yourself and built it otherwise) to do what you're describing. That's not so hard, because the switches are usually pretty close together, at least that's my experience with the Radial Big Shot 2 loop looper.

A Boss LS2, however, would let you set it to toggle between loop A (BDDI) and loop B (chorus). Check out the manual for that box, it's a really useful little tool.

3. Spino

Spino

May 21, 2006
    Germany
    Check out Lehle A/B boxes good product.

4. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will certainely take a look at the products you have mentioned!

5. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Arkansas
    another vote for the LS-2... it offers so much, you can experiment and all... the only thing it's missing is the A+>B mode so that effects from A would feed the effects in B (to get a normal, single chain...)

6. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    LS-2 is cheaper than that first link, don't know about the second

My vote: use the "Big Foot" technique... depending on pedal size it could be pretty easy to press both switches at once, I do it all the time to do, well, the exact same thing exactly! I have a Ibanez TS5 for dirt and a Boss CH1 for chorus. I have the CH1 going verticle then the TS5 going horizontal, and the switches are directly next to each other. I switch from just dirt to just chorus in... 2 of my current band's songs

It works really well for me... some things can be most easily solved with primitive techniques... for everything else... there's mastercard...

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

This is indeed a job for a LS-2.