Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fret-less Six, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Has anyone played these instruments? I looked on the website and apparently they stopped taking orders in 2003...are they as good as the Sadowsky jazz basses?

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    A basses no longer make basses.
    But Albey's basses are great.
    I've played a few.
    Well made, very good playability.
    Vintage sound.
    Think Lakland or Lull, but also it's own thing.

3. Great basses. Excellent quality and the 'A' I have has a very focused sound especially with Stainless Steel roundwounds. 'A's are really hard to find.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah I have played a fretted and a couple fretlesses... Great high end jazz basses! Very hard to find.

As I last heard, Albey has gone back to being gigging musician. Maybe someone here has more info.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Albey stoped making bass in 2003.
    Was taking to much time from playing .
    A great bassist, along with being a great builder.

6. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    it was my understanding that the darrel jones model lakeland is based on the design of the A bass that was made for him

7. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes if you look at the body styling of an A Bass and the Lakland Daryl Jones, they are very similar. I'm curious to hear any review on the A Bass line. The only thing I've read was a less than desirable review in Bass Player a while back. I don't think there are any reviews posted elsewhere (here, BGRA, or Harmony Central). I really like the look of these basses but I agree with others, you don't see them around too often.

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Maybe this is just me, but BP doesn't do many instruments justice when they perform reviews.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The guy I got my semihollow fretless Elrick 5 from also had a Fodera 5 and a 4 string A bass with J-Retro installed. Best term to describe it would be "broken in". That bass felt like it had been mine forever. Excellent Jazz bass IMO.