A better tuner

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by J-Bassomatic, Jul 22, 2019.

1. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    OK, I lost my Snark for the last time, I turned the house over under sideways down and I could not find it. I got so tired of looking for it I got in the car and drove to my fave store (The Music Farm in Canton OH, if that's allowed) and they recommended the TC Electronics Polytune3. I trust these guys so I bought it. Then, of course, there was the power supply and the connector cable but I was so much in a rage that I lost my Snark for the umpteenth time I thought, "I'm not going to lose something I paid this much for." Earlier in the week my truck died so I used the salvage yards payment to buy it. Fact is I like it. I started thinking, What's your fave tuner and why? Are there any caveats with the Polytune3?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. I just use a simple Petersen strobo clip. It works well, is accurate, and costs enough that I'm careful who I lend it to and keep it within sight at all times.

ProdigalBassman and J-Bassomatic like this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  4. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I have a Polytune 2. I like the fact that I can also use it as a mute switch.

Mktrat likes this.
  5. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Polytune Clip is best clip on available IMHO. I’m up to 3 of them for home and gig bags.

On my gig board (Nano), I use a Polytune mini. Boss TU-3 works fine too.

bucephylus and Sav'nBass like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I like the TC tuners because I can see them on a bright day in the hot Florida sun. I use a Polytune 2 Mini on my board, although I resent having a tuner on my board and do my best to get away without using it. So about a year ago I bought a Unitune clip-on, and it's been fantastic, by far the best clip-on tuner I've used and a lot cheaper than the Polytune clip-on since I have zero need for poly mode.

Sav'nBass and hbabels like this.
  7. H Nighttrain

H Nighttrain

Feb 12, 2018
    I like the real small d'Addario clip-on tuner. Very small, like a stack of four quarters small, unobtrusive. $15 cheap. Easy to use.

Can't see it in bright daylight tho. And the little clip doesn't hold, I was constantly finding it in the bottom of my gig bag 'til I velcro'd it to the headstock.

Got a Snark, too, fugly imho. And an old Korg 9V LCD display tuner that works fine in sunlight, but has to plug in to the amp tuner out, but I always bring it as backup, very easy to use. Peterson Strobostomp for setting up intonation.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Got a couple of them too, and feel exactly how you do. Not the most accurate tuner on the market but does the job and does it well enough. Except I never had trouble with them falling off. I can't stand leaving them on my bass during a gig, though. Don't like the look at all. So maybe that's why they never fell off...I don't give them a chance to fall off.

9. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I swear by the tc PolyTune the pedal and the clip on are both great. Track the low notes faster / better anything else I’ve tried. I’ll have to look at this unitune since I agree I have zero use for poly mode

JimmyM likes this.
  10. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I want convenience and compactness so I put a D'Addario/Planet Waves Mini tuner on all my basses and ukuleles. I have about 15 with a couple extra on the side.

NS Micro Tuner.png

11. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I swear by the TC clip-ons as well. Does the job markedly better than any other clip-on I’ve ever had.

martinc and JimmyM like this.
  12. ajn

ajn

Sep 3, 2007
    Now in Oregon
    A big +1 for the TC Unitune clip-on. Extremely accurate, very bright in any light, and relatively inexpensive.

JohnnyBottom and JimmyM like this.
  13. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Polytunes are the way to go.

martinc and JimmyM like this.
  14. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    The brightness kind of surprised me too, no missing that in the daylight. I don't really need the poly feature either but I will be using it to tune a guitar also, so who knows.

JimmyM likes this.
  15. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    The TC PolyTune Clip is great, but it does tend to drop into "Poly" mode when trying to tune a single string.

However, the TC UniTune Clip is fantastic (and cheaper than the PolyTune).

JohnnyBottom, Tritone and JimmyM like this.
  16. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Never had that happen. Have you put it in bass mode?

17. I have TC Polytune 3 and love it. I have no benchmark to compare it to, cause it's my first electronic tuner. Never used one before.

It allows me to play songs that are drop D, quickly and silently. In fact I bought it because I was on a fence between the Polytune 3 or a Hipshot drop DTuner. Decided to buy the Polytune.

It's the right decision for me, now I can play drop D songs with any of my bases.

JimmyM likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No doubt it's an excellent tuner. I have a Polytune 2 Mini myself. But I still would consider trying a Hipshot in the future. I used to caveman the re-tuning my own self till it got to the point where I wasn't given enough time to retune in my old band. So I got a Hipshot with two stops and it was an absolute godsend that you can't fully appreciate till you use it. I hated that band because of the BL and I'm so glad I'm out, but I kept the Hipshot and bought two more :D

J-Bassomatic and geesharp like this.
  19. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    Polytunes are nice, one advice: switch it to strobe mode.
    more details here, but TLDR: needle mode on Polytune is worse than on Korg/Boss pedals, but strobe one is superb.

J-Bassomatic and JimmyM like this.
  20. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    I guess I didn't get the full benefit of this response, maybe the link was messed up. Why is strobe mode preferable?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021