1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A cool idea for a 5 string bass inlay.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Josh Emmons, May 23, 2011.

1. Got to thinking.... And I have no clue if this has been done before, BUT. I thought that it would be cool if the strings helped add to the inlays under them. and I began thinking of what could work. and i thought: If you have a 5 string bass, you could make it look like a staff. and it is possible to put a bass clef at the 24th fret of the neck, and put in a song, (without ledgers) that is meaningful to you as the inlays below. Again useing the strings as the staff, the frets would serve as oddly spaced measure lines. just a cool inlay thought for a 5 string bass... And while your at it, make them LED inlays.. has this been done before? and if not, is it a good idea?

2. vivifiction

vivifiction

Jan 22, 2011
    Texas
    Please make this.

3. PaPaVB20

PaPaVB20

Aug 19, 2008
    Sounds great, actually very creative, I want to see it done!

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I demand a photoshop of this! :D

5. Get tb user el gecko on the case, his photoshops in OT are really good.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Interesting idea. You'd have to give up on the frets as measure lines, since the the span of the strings forming the staff is roughly two inches (vertically), measure lines from 2.5 down to .75 inches (horizontal spacing) do not make any sense. Unless I misunderstand your idea.

7. I swear I've seen a bass clef inlay somewhere before...

8. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    I've seen a bass clef before, but nothing with music notes running the fretboard! Thats the coolest thing since sliced bread!!

9. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Great idea! Just about any AC/DC song would be cake for that.

10. I know the delema.... but you could use some space by the time sig, and key sig too. also its possible that the notes could get slightly bigger the further down the neck they go. (the bigger the frets go).

11. Checkout ritter basses, they have several models that have LED in the dots

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Okay, I took a stab at this. Right off the bat, you run into the problem of being limited to bass lines that fall between G and A. Without a bunch of 8vas, you're pretty much stuck. To make matters worse, you can't have anything hovering over or hanging below the stave, there's no "canvas" there.

So accepting that, you run into the problem mentioned above, the aspect ratio of bar length to stave height is completely off. Anything beyond whole notes starts to look really silly. Even quarter notes would look disproportionately stretched vertically/compressed horizontally. In my opinion, the only way to make this decent is to only attempt the inlay on an unmarked fretless board.

Notationinlay.

That's exactly two bars of music. Imagine squishing ten times the music into there! I can't! I figure you're looking at about four bars max depending on how simple they are...with shenanigans! Also, notice how the accidentals are easily obscured by the "stave lines".

13. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    36 position fretless neck may help, like a Zon Hyperbass, or Jersey Drozd bass.

14. I had a Wishbass that I shaped the end of the fingerboard into a bass clef, and then added abalone shell dot inlays to complete the clef.

1166101_1343.

15. VictorG

VictorG

Apr 19, 2011
    Gatlinburg,Tn
    :D LOL
    was that sarcasm?

16. That sick!!

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Has everyone figured out the bass line? One of my favorite shows.

18. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    Seinfeld???

19. BassCycle

BassCycle

Jan 6, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
    Ha, that's Barney Miller, right?

20. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    Wow... I can't believe I thought it was Seinfeld...I think I have temporarily lost my sight reading priveleges...Barney Miller is not only one of my favorites to watch, but also to play (ear playing only...can you tell?).