1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Decision needs to be made...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wildcats2004, Feb 17, 2008.

1. I have always had a ear for the Stingray sound (like who hasn't at some point), and I have the opportunity to sell my current rig to help fund the purchase of a Stingray.

Currently I own:
    Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II
    Gallien-Krueger 410SBX

I play 95% of the time at church and my idea is that I would sell my amp to my church and then use the Stingray straight DI (Sansamp BassDriver) into the system if a rig is not available (which would probably never happen at my church). Also maybe a little down the road even upgrade my DI.

Also, I'd have use of my amp outside of church even if they bought it because although we are a big church (1300-1500 adults per service, three services) our music ministry is fairly small.

I just wanted to get other peoples' opinion..sell rig and go straight DI with a Stingray or keep rig and hold out a little longer for the Stingray? BTW, I'm really pressed for a second bass but its not an absolute necessity.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try your bass direct only and see how it works out for you. If it's okay you may be all right.

Personally, I never want to skimp on amplification and I've owned a Stingray and bought it for the same reason you probably want one. But I wouldn't buy one and let my only good amp go. It's okay but it's only a bass. Unless nothing but an authentic Stingray will do.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Definitely try the Stingray direct first off. I would suggest a Radial JMP or JDI Direct Box. Those two items are built like a tank, make your bass sound exactly like it does and are very reliable. I use the JDI all the time and I am very happy with it, works great with active basses too.

If you don't care about your rig, toss it and grab that bass! But, if you do join a band outside of the church, you may regret it.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Have the church buy a Stingray and keep your stuff.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I'd hold off too. Wouldn't want to be without a rig of any kind, heck, I need two of them. The Stingray won't go anywhere, so you can still get one later, and you'll still have an amp.

6. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Keep your rig and make payments on a Stingray. Or simply create a little "layaway" fund for yourself so that you can actively shop for a new or used Stingray. The GK gear goes really well with Stingrays.....what am I saying, Stingrays go well with any rig. But you have a nice rig and it would be silly to part with it unless its never getting used.

When it comes to GAS, where there's a will, there's a way!

I traded in two basses and some pedals to pay for a new SR4 this past fall. I took quite a loss on the other basses but after buying an SR5, I never played them. So for me, having two amazing instruments was more important then having a bunch of other unused gear.

Here's my pair of lefty Stingrays:

MyStingrays015.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Please keep this Amps related.

8. My question was amp related...I'm set that my next bass will be a Stingray..the question is if I should keep my current amp or sell it to free up funds...I know thats not asking about amps I was just wondering if it was not the stupidest idea.

I've gotten a lot of good feedback and I'm back in leaning in the direction of keeping my stuff.

9. Definitely keep your rig. You are limiting your playing potential by saying you require PA support that will in turn support a bass guitar. Seriously just save up and get the stingray later.

10. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    My point wasn't directed at you personally but to all. If this started turning into a Stingray pics thread then I would have moved it.

I think everyone knows by now if I didn't feel that it belonged here this thread would have already been gone. ;)

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Sorry, I just like to spread the Stingray love! But i really think the OP has a great rig and shouldn't dump it if at all possible. :)

12. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    No problem man and I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with that rig.

13. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    I would definately hold on to the rig, and save up for the Stingray. I also play for my church, and you'd be surprised how quickly things can change; whether it be a new bassist attending the church or maybe an ambitious musician. Once you sell your rig to the church, all rights are off and you'll end up feeling you have to ask everytime you want to use it no matter how close and how long you've been attending. It's not a bad thing, but once you sell it you can't think of it as avail for your personal use anymore.

14. Our music ministry is actually pretty tight. Even if I did sell it to the church (which pending a couple things might be off), I'd still have it available for personal use as long as I wasn't just always keeping it at home (i.e. I'd be able to borrow it as long as I clear it with our worship pastor).

I appreciate everyone's input and I'm now pretty sure I don't want to get rid of it..heck, I was having to use it last Sunday (I don't usually bring the whole thing) and as we were walking off stage from practice I made the remark that went something like "Man, I feel so much more comfortable having my baby behind me" to our acoustic guitar player...its amazing how much attachment one can develop with equipment...

Feel free to lock this down if you want, I think the majority say "keep it you fool!"