A different "what one effect" question fo ryou.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveC, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I have been researching effects a lot lately. None of my bands really use them, but that doesn't seem to stop some of you effects junkies. :)

Anyway, I have a tuner and compressor that I always take/use at gigs. I don't really have a need for anything else. I was even thinking of taking the tuner out of the signal path - as my new bass (Q5) never seems to go out of tune - and just using the tuner out of my amp.

So, I was wondering, for a guy that plays a lot of jazz (mostly straight forward with a little edge on occasion) some pop/acoustic rock (DMB/Steve Miller, John Couger, etc.) and in church, what would be one effect that would be good to have to just change it up a little? I was thinking the Visual sound H2O Chorus/Echo pedal. I tried it once and liked the Chorus. Not sure about Echo - but I guess it could be used like a delay/reverb - give a little depth in places.

What do you guys think? What effect would you have "on standby" in my situation?

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you really want to mix things up check out a Moog Bass MuRF.

3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Talk about 0-60 in less than for seconds. I have no advice for the OP, except to disregard this guy! Though, it would be MIXING IT UP!

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'd agree with this, even though I loved my Bass MuRF when I had it. Reason being that, on bass at least, it isn't an effect that you turn on to "color" a line a bit. It really changes the entire feel and (for me anyway) was really only useful when writing lines around it.

For the stuff you listed I would have said octaver, except that I saw "church" at the end of your list which makes me think that you might be on the right track with chorus or reverb.

Other ideas: Overdrive is always nice for jam-band/rock with a bit of funk flavor stuff. And I'm biased, but I've played in a lot of different genres and I almost always find a spot to use a phaser.

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I remember being really stoked on the H20 when I was a lad. As I recall, it sounds really cool if you turn every knob up all the way. :p

6. SteveC

I guess I'd use OD if I went with a bigger board - filter, octave, etc. They seem to go well with each other. as I said, I have gotten buy for years without anything. I just thought it might be cool to have a subtle something that I could use on occasion without going too far away from my basic clean and full "core" sound - which the Modulus does very well.

I'm thinking TU-2, BBE, something and a Radial JDI on a Pedal Train Mini.

7. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    WEEPING DEMON.

j/k, u can't go wrong with a good envelope filter, like a Moog 101 or a Q-tron+

8. SteveC

Would a little multi be worth it? I know they are a "jack of all trades, master of none" but maybe for the occasional effect here and there it would be good enough. People seem to like the Zoom B2.

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    If you got the B2 you could ditch your tuner. It definitely is flexible and cost effective for the occasional effect. However, the bypass isn't completely transparent. I'm not sure if it still does the AD/DA in bypass or if it's just a buffer or what but it will change the dynamic response of a compressor or overdrive placed after it. It might not bother you or you might like it after everything else. You could also stick it in a bypass loop.

10. I think the B2 is a great idea for you, its obvious you're not entirely sure which direction to go with involving effects, and a cheap multi-fx can at least give you a taste for sounds that you may want to spend a little more on further down the line.
    other than that, id say a chorus pedal might be up your street - the H2o might be overkill (i dont know its price/features though - or even if money is an issue) but a chorus will be a less obvious effect than say an envelope filter or an octaver, you dont really sound like you want an obvious effect.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021