1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A gestalt experience

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by c0nsilience, Sep 17, 2008.

1. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    co-founder, SynapticGroove
    'I can't see New York' from Scarlet's Walk is right around the top of my list for songs that really emote, both musically and lyrically (i.e., Dylan's The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll and Young's The Needle and the Damage Done). What was the vibe like recording that? Hearing it live with the raw talent and professionalism of Tori made me feel like I was quite literally locked in introspection in a plane that seemed to blur the conscious and subconscious. Kinda Jungian in a way.

How did it make you feel to record it? I guess I should phrase the question as:

Have you ever been so completely moved by a track while working on it - like you were conscious of the fact that you were tacking, but feeling a bit detached, like channeling or something - that it increased or decreased the effort & energy it took to lay the track down?

I apologize for the gestalt psychology...just curious man. That's a really good tune. Really good. Your bassline counterpointing the vocal melody is what hooks me.

Sometimes I work up a track, and I feel what I am playing while I am playing it, but I don't really hear it upon listen back for quite awhile. It's almost as if I need a period of detachment to really hear it. Maybe that's just plain odd, but that's the main reason I still play music. Without wanting to make a passion into a career, merely content to leave it as a passion that, after many years, has become something that I need to do, more than I want to do, most of the time with it coming subconsciously. I guess I just play what I feel and if it resonates then it's genuine.

Thanks!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Couldn't agree more...at times when in the midst of a track, I only reconcile what actually occurred later on down the road. It is actually hard to hear what it really IS without a period of separation sometimes. So I feel you on that. "...play what I feel and if it resonates then it's genuine." You have encapsulated it all right there.

Thank you for the complement on "Can't See New York". That was the most moving song of that session, and along with "Cruel" and a couple of others, one of the heavier experiences of working with Tori over the years. That song really kills me, and I almost had a hard time being in the moment and keeping my eye on the ball because the song was personally moving in a unique way.

Best,
    JMJ

3. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    No problem man. What kind of fuzz did you use on 'Cruel'? The broken staccato nature of that bassline is really cool. Gives the song a lot of tension...like Hitchcock's Rear Window :)

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    A Boss Heavy Metal Pedal, OD-1, and a Tubeworks Blue Tube cascading into each other in that order. If memory serves.

5. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Many thanks Justin!