A good 5 string to start with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Hey whats everybody I am in the market for a five string. I am currently using a Fender Jazz deluxe MIA never had a 5er before but would like to buy one since this is my first one I would like to know what some good ones are for a 300 to 500 price range.

Thanx in advance Elliott

PS: I would prefer not to get a Fender I love Fenders but I love diversity in my collectioneven better! :bassist:
  2. The first (and only) five stringer i got was the ibanez EDA 905, it has a really nice thin neck, but isnt as "traditional" sounding, but i will say it was an easy step up for me, and i now also play a btb406, and on those, even the 5 string models, the necks are thicker and harder to play

have you tried a 5 string jazz-esque bass, maybe even an upper Squier ?
  3. g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    i really like my washburn xb125, it plays damn nice but takes a bit of eqing to sound great.

i think I picked it up for 300 bucks.

The low b sounds good compared to a lot of other 5ers I tried in the 300 range.
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    What's cool is that these days budget 5's are readily available and better than what was available 10 years back.

Some to check out:

-Spector Performer 5
    -Peavey Fury 5
    -MTD Kingston 5
    -Schecter C-series

You should also comb the used bass market. You can often find a good higher-end basses used for friendly prices.

Still, I highly recommend going to music stores and trying out as many as you can for feel and all that. With a lot of factory basses, they get produced at such high volumes that some lemons may pass through the cracks, so definitely check each bass you're interested in thoroughly.
  5. TheOriginalF

Feb 7, 2005
    I'd have to agree with the above post, I think Ibanez id a great place to start. It was the only Five stringer I felt comfortable with when I first started using one. The neck is wonderful and makes it a little easier to play and of course it hase a pretty decent sound.