1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Good Classical Era Piece

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Illfavor, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    I have two questions.

First, Is the first movement of the Sperger Sonata in D(E) Major really short? I saw a recording that said it was 3:30 long.

Do you guys recommend any classical era pieces? They cannot be concerti, but any movement of a sonata or something like that is fine.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    A movement of a concerto isn't ok? Most of the classical concertos aren't that long so a movement isn't too bad, and if you cut out the cadenza it could be even simpler and shorter.

That will give you more choices...

3. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    No, it isn't. It's for a competition and already have a concerto, the Bottesini No. 2, and I must have a complete Sonata and a classical work, and would like to kill two birds with one stone.

4. Andrew Chilcote

Andrew Chilcote

Mar 20, 2007
    one of the beethoven cellos sonatas? i think there's a version of #3 for bass

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Kind of "late classical" and not easy, but Schubert's 'Arpeggione' sonata is very nice.

6. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    That probably won't work. It's extremely "late classical". I'm thinking more like early Beethoven, Haydn, Breval, Sperger, Boccherini and such. I've heard the Marcello Sonatas are an intermediate level solo piece, so probably something harder than that.

7. Andrew Chilcote

Andrew Chilcote

Mar 20, 2007
    marcello's baroque. i would look into either boccherini, beethoven, or sperger

8. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    ...good point. Thanks!

9. Cfederle

Cfederle

Jun 19, 2007
    Denton, Texas
    Finding a classical sonata will be hard. Your two best bets have already been mentioned, the Schubert which is rather late and hard, or one of the Beethoven Cello Sonatas. There is also the Gavotte by Lorenzitti, which is a fairly easy piece that is classical even if not a sonata. Granted there is lots of room for transcriptions, but I am afraid I do have any ideas at this moment. Another composer you should look into though is Hoffmeister, he wrote a rather nice Concertino that also has a quartet version. I know he wrote at least 3 of these solo quartets, might be some other works worth looking into as well.

If you end having to play something for your classical selection that is not a sonata then you can always go with an lighter piece for the sonata. I am rather fond of the Scarlatti Sonatas.