Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A good Latin chord progression?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by hateater, Jan 11, 2004.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Does anyone here know of a good chord progression for latin music? I believe it was Bruce who told me that Latin is similar in some aspects to Jazz. So does anyone have a good Latin progression besides 2-5-1?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well there are a huge number of different genres that get "lumped" under Latin music - so you have Afro Cuban, Brazilian, Argentinian Tango music, Merengue..etc. etc.

Jazz and Latin crossed over at many points, generally though it's not chord sequences that are "imported" but rather the rhythms of South America that provide the interest. So, I don't think there are chord sequences that are particular to Latin music - there are no new chords or ways of using them - it is generally the rhythmic interest that attracts people to these styles.

But the most famous Jazz/Latin crossover is the Brazilian Bossa Nova - taken up by Stan Getz and others in things like "Girl from Ipanema" :

this is an AABA format :

A is :
    Fmaj X 2
    G7 X2
    Gmin7 Gb7
    Fmaj7 Gb7 (1st Time)
    Fmaj7 X 2 (2nd time)

B is :
    Gbmaj7 X 2
    B7 X 2
    F#min7 X 2
    D7 X2
    Gmin7 X 2
    Eb7 X 2
    Amin7/D7+11b9/Gmin7/C7+11b9

But if you want lots of Latin chord sequences, I would suggest getting "The Latin Real Book" by Sher Music.

3. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks again Bruce, you are the King.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    No, I am the King. Bruce is the Lindfield.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'll settle for Arbiter of Good Taste!! ;)