1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A hum in the A

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by rfmichael, Mar 7, 2008.

1. rfmichael

rfmichael

Mar 7, 2008
    I am a new bass player with a relatively new bass. All works wonderfully, but I have a buzz in the high A on the G string. A few weeks ago in removing it from the case, the bridge was bumped and came loose. I have put it back with care and yet the G string seems lower to the fingerboard than all the rest of the strings... and the buzz is worse. I would really like to care for this without major expense, any suggestions?
    Thank you!

2. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    It sounds like your bridge ended up a little more towards the bass side when you put it back. You can carefully whack it with the heel of your hand to get it back t where it should be. The bridge shouldn't come loose with a little bump, so you might have a more serious problem.

3. It's hard to tell from just what you wrote, but it sounds like the bridge moved laterally toward the E string side. That would explain the height difference, and the buzz could be from the lower G string action, but it might also be from an uneven spot on the fingerboard at "A". Sounds like you first might need to re-center the bridge...

4. Carefully whack it?:eyebrow: I actually know what you mean though, try to get the feet aligned with the old marks in the varnish. This may be kind of hard on a relatively new bass, my bass is two and half years old and is still kind of hard to bump the bridge much with out significantly detuning.

5. yeah, "whacking" :eyebrow: would be gently tapping? i whack my bridge with a paperback when it's tilting toward the fingerboard so it won't fall over.

but rfmichael your bridge should be moved to a precise place (generally that's in the center of the top on the line that runs between the inside notches of the f-holes, so that that line is identical to the line of the top of the bridge). you might be better off putting the bass on a table and loosening the strings so you can carefully move the bridge and check its position.