Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A little G string problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mic, Mar 25, 2005.

1. mic

mic

Mar 11, 2005
    Israel, Haifa
    Hi, I have a little problem with my G string on my OLP MM2 bass.
    While all the other strings are moving in parallel to the frets and not towards them at all, what makes a good and sharp sound, the G string is moving also towards the frets while i'm plucking, and if I play harder on that string, it also strike the frets and making a buzz. I don't think it's a problem of height of the nut or something, because I see that the problem is only happened because of the angle that the string is moving onto, and I think it hits on all the frets.

I will thank you if you will give me a solution to this annoying problem. ;)

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If it buzzes when you fret it at any fret on that string, then you need to raise the action on that string using the height adjustment on the bridge.

If it buzzes only when fretted at the top or bottom of the neck, then the truss rod needs adjustment.

3. mic

mic

Mar 11, 2005
    Israel, Haifa
    I'm sorry, I forgot to mention, it happen's only on open string.

4. So, it only buzzes when you pluck the open G; when you fret the notes there's no buzz, right? As far as I can figure, the problem must be with the nut...probably the G string slot was cut too big, allowing the string to move excessively and, therefore, buzz. If you don't feel confident repairing your nut or installing and cutting slots in a new one or if you don't have the CORRECT tools, take it to a tech.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep, that definitely sounds like a nut problem. There are tricks to filling in a slot that is too deep, but I don't remember what it is.

6. It has something to do with super glue and baking soda, but I'd probably just have a new nut installed and slotted properly.

7. mic

mic

Mar 11, 2005
    Israel, Haifa
    Thank's everyone, is it possible to see the string trembling on the nut, just to be sure if it is realy the problem?
    Ho and another thing, I bought this bass a month ago, and the problem started from the bigining. I didn't chang the strings from the one's that came with the bass. could it be the problem? It wasn't brand-new strings...
    I'm going to change them next week anyway.