1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Looper?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tim Harrison, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison

Apr 8, 2006
    Hey all,

just wondering if any of you could help me,

I've seen a dvd of Victor Wooten at Bass Day 2002, and he plays a simple bass line, which then plays over, and he adds chords on top of that, which then repeat with the bass line, then he solo's over it all. and it's ******* good.

i just wanted to know what this type of effect is called, and how much roughly, does it cost?

Cheers!

2. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Yup its a looper. They can range from $170/200ish and up.

Boss makes some good ones (RC-2, RC-20XL, RC-50, DD-20 to an extent)
    Digitech Jamman.
    Boomerang.
    Akai Headrush.
    Electro Harmonix 16 second digital delay.
    Zvex Lo-fi Loop Junky

Those are just the ones off the top of my head

3. Gnome

Gnome

Jul 27, 2006
    Mexico City, MX
    Electro Harmonix 2880. You can play four loops at the same time, controlling volume, overdub. Plus it has a foot controller.

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    for something relatively simple, try the boss RC2, or RC20XL.

they're basically the same thing, but one is more compact.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Now that you have some basics, do a search. The RC-50 has been talked about extensively and there is plenty of data and opinions floating around, though it seems no one has tried an RC-2 yet.

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

i have!

it's quite nice, actually. i'll be picking one up soon. it's the same as an RC20XL, except in a single box. to stop the loop, you have to stomp twice on the pedal, or get an external footswitch. other than that, it's exactly the same. great for space-saving! if you're not an extensive looping freak, and you just want to lay down a loop (or a loop and some overdubs) and jam on it, it's awesome.

7. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I have a Digitech Jamman.
    It's quite the same as the Boss rc20, but has USB connection, so you can download wavs or save your loops to computer, and very easy to use.
    I think two pedals is a must... I never tried RC-2, but have a delay pedal with that short looping function (4seconds), a real looper is better :)
    Ok, RC2 may be more usable than my delay..

edit: I mean... much better than RC-20, and a bit cheaper, too... but similar look.

8. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    if you have a computer then guitar rig has it built in and there is a programme called ambiloop which is free!!