1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A new adventure begins !

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by T2W, Feb 17, 2008.

1. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Well first off, I'd like to notify the mods that I aint starting a company or anything, I'm not sure if it's ok for me to post pics of 5 basses at a time, however there is a good reason for it. I build because I love it, passion and not a few bucks. Im moving 4000kms out west so I decided to cut all this wood I had lying around, since I wont have access to as many tools once I get to my destination, all I'll have to do there is assemble everything and have fun fretting and routing a bit. This is all new to me, using a template to get all the same body shapes, setneck for all 5 of them, and scarf joints for all of them too. Zebrawood tranny blocks, matching Canary, Maple or Mahog headstock plates, and Im unsure about the rest. Here are a few pics of my design, no spirits or napthe were used for the sake of a better pic.

IMG_7634.

IMG_7635.

left is Maple, Mahogany and Canary, I got two like this, right is Walnut and Canarywood, I got three of these.

IMG_7636.

Four body blanks, two of them are Mahogany, one is Canary on Mahogany, and the top one (the one you see on the pic) is Canary on Walnut. Tasty combo.... This particular piece of Canarywood was 8' by 9" by 1", I managed to resaw them all on the tablesaw, then planed them, the bookmatches turned out very nice cuz the figure in them is huge, big curls so it was easy to get a good result with no tearout. the glue joints are the best ive achieved so far.

IMG_7638.

the fifth blank ive yet to glue up, three piece Ash (the one I got in the forest) with BM quilted Maple.

IMG_7637.

Four Morado (Pau Ferro) boards with one Ash board, the ash will have Wenge bindings on it, and Im thinking maybe I should put the Ash on the Maple/Ash body, could be interesting.

Im open to any suggestions or recommendations, this is the first time I attempt setnecks and scarfjoints, although I read all words of advice Wils generously shared with us in his tutorials, I would appreciate any other help you could possibly give. Hopefully I aint disturbing any TB rules by posting numerous blanks, I will, however, post progress on only one of these basses, the Canary/Walnut body with Canary/Walnut neck with Zebra transition block and Morado board. All are 5 string, unsure of the spacing yet. FWIW, Im moving to Edmonton, Alberta so if anyone of you is around that area, how about a beer? Peace !

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Wow! I haven't seen that much wood since the Sahara Forest. :D
    Looks good. :)

3. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Lovin that canary Mario!

4. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Thanks Scott, my brother found that piece at the yard. I bought it right away. I also got a 15" slab of 8/4 Khaya mahogany, thats where the three bodies come from, they are all one piece bodies. Come to think about it, we use Maple as fingerboards all the time, Ive seen Zebrawood, even Walnut, so what about Ash as a board? Its quartersawn if that helps. I dont see why it would be a bad idea.

5. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Good find Bud!!:eek: I'm currently using some nice white ash on a build and had a similar thought. The stuff chewed up my planer blades like no ones business. The only thing I can think of negative about an ash board would be the open pores collecting dirt in an almost white in color wood. Could get a little yucky after a while. Maybe a coated ash board?:meh:

6. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    CA or Epoxy?

7. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Either I guess, on a fretted I don't see why laquer or good a catalyzed poly wouldn't work, would be much easier.;)

8. RAHAZ

RAHAZ

Feb 12, 2007
    Arizona
    Very Nice Mario. What is the thickness on those neck blanks?

9. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    I just read your thread on neck thicknesses Rahaz, these blanks are all 3/4 (19mm) Hot Rods are 11mm. I plan on bringing my neck down to 21mm at the first frets, thats 15 without the fretboard, therefor I got 4mm behind the rod. Im about to switch rods cuz I find them a bit too big. Ive never tried anything else but Hot Rods (stewmac) so I cant compare.