a new BBE Bmax problem.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewClaycomb, Sep 27, 2005.

1. So I just got it in today, I hooked up the effects loop with George L cable and it worked fine, I used my tweed rapco cable as the intrument cable and it worked fine, and when I went to hook up my monster bass cable as the main out, it wouldn't fit. I tried switching it with the tweed cable and it wouldn't fit in the front as the instrument cable.

Simply put the monster cable will not fit in any of the 1/4" jacks on the whole unit. What's the deal? I have never had this problem with any of my other gear, and I've never heard of this problem either.
  2. Have you tried the monster cable in any other equipment?
    Does it fit another amp or even a stereo headphone jack?
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Doesn't sound like a BBE problem to me, it sounds like a Monster Cable problem.

Let me guess, the Monster connectors have those little expanding things on the ends, right? If so, I'm not at all surprised that there are some jacks that they just don't work well in.

Get a new cable, problem solved . . .
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have noticed that my (older model) Monster instrument cable fits tighter in all the 0.25" jacks that any of my other cables, but it fits every jack I have.

I assumed you tried both ends of the cable...

Does one or both ends fit in your bass' jack?
  5. OK,so I talked with the manager of guitar center and he said that it's not all that of an uncommon problem. Appearantly monster cable are made exactly to spec, where as most other cables aren't. The BBE Jacks are just too small. The monster cable works with everything else I own. I just think it's weird that a BBE preamp isn't compatable with a top end cable maker. Looks like this nice cable is absolutely useless for the time being.

I got a new cable and everything works great now.
  6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    That fellow at GC is feeding you a line of BS to cover his selling you that cable in the first place. :scowl: It is my understanding that monster cables are a little larger than "spec" so that they fit more snug. I know many people who won't use them for fear that they will wear out the jacks on their instruments because they are slightly oversized.

You BBE is fine, the monster cable is the culprit.
  7. I just read in the Phil Jones Bass Buddy Owner's manual,
    that if you use a "Monster Cable" brand cable you'll void
    the warranty. This is due to it's being oversized.
    Just thought that might be a point of interest.
  8. That's weird, I bought the cable in England. There would be no reason for him to cover his ass on this one.
  9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Fair enough, I shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that he was covering his own booty. I know that GC pushes these cords pretty hard usually.
  10. Sorry I didn't title it right the first time. I wasn't sure what the deal was at the time. It seems like a few more months on this board will clear up these already covered posts from me.