1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A nice new Recording Mic for $100

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, May 22, 2020.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

I've had my eye on the ATM 2020 for some time. Have watched a lot of reviews on Youtube and it looked like a really nice mic.

So, I ordered one and got it a couple days ago. It's a nice looking mic with a sturdy build. I plan on using it as another input for my Zoom recorders.

I just hooked it up tonight and ran it straight into my Zoom H6 (which provides the Phantom Power needed). I am really happy with the natural sound. It is very even across the range and is neither boomy in the lows or shrill on the hights.

I just ordered a shock mount to go with it.

For the mic I went to Alto music. They included a very nice swing-arm mic stand AND a 10 foot XLR cable. All for the same price everyone else wanted for the mic alone. AND, they didn't charge sales tax.

The shock mount I got from Sweetwater for $29. Everywhere else it's 90-100.

I'm just noodling here so no critique on the playing is required LOL.

2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Rick. Would this mic fit between the belly and bridge? I have a generic condenser mic that I have really good luck with recording this way. Thanks.

3. rickwolff

rickwolff ..Gear & Tone Junkie.. My Ignorance is Bliss. Supporting Member

Yes, it would fit there. So far, I have been placing it on a low stand about 18 inches in front of my bass.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Honestly that might be the best $100 recording I have ever heard. Very interesting.

5. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Nov 8, 2019
    USA
    Wow sounds amazing!! And only 100 bucks? Talk about a sweet deal.....

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I'm going to critique the playing anyway. It's really good and I very much enjoyed listening to you play. And the mic sounds nice too. Thanks for posting this.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The AT2020 is one of the great mike bargains out there. It's been in production for over 15 years now and the price is right, no more expensive than an SM57 or 58.

Some people poo-poo it because it's not a "real" large diaphragm condenser...only 16mm, "large" starts at 25mm :banghead:

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.