Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A qoute from Marcus

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    From his website at http://marcusmiller.com/faq.html?category=1&faqid=19&color=19

Question to Marcus "Are you planning to do an instructional video?"

His response

"If you want the MM video, just play the Victor Wooten one at half speed.. :)
    But nope, no video. Why should I make it easy for you guys??? Stanley and Jaco never made one for us!! I would wait all year to see Stanely Clarke on TV. They would play one song and that was it. And we didn't even have VCRs!!!
    Honestly, while I think videos can help, I do think it's more important to develop your ears by learning from recordings. I think you come to a deeper understanding of what you're learning to play if you have to figure it out yourself. Then use videos to confirm what you've learned. "

I agree with what he is saying to a degree, but for myself, I am also a visual person, and it helps if I can see what is going on, but thats just me:meh: Having said that, I hope he puts one out:D

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't think for a minute that Marcus never watched someone in person to figure something out or had someone show him how to do something. I get what he's saying but I think he's just not all for breaking his songs down and having someone play each part over and over on a VCR to learn to play it.

brad cook

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, you can always buy the Ohne Filter DVD. ;)

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Marcus had a lot of Bass players back in Jamaica Queens to look at and even a few to show him what they were doing. When funkbands broke in the early 70's he was very young (13 or 14).There was a bunch of bassplayers in the Rochdale village (home of Marcus Miller) area that were very talanted. We all knew each other and participated in the battle of the band stuff for years. Marcus and I used to talk about happening bassplayers at the time and we all had our favorites. My take is that Marcus does not want to see 10,000 bassplayers mimicking his style down to the frown and grimices. He stated he didn't have vcr's and the like, well he's right we didn't. All we had to record was a cassette player, the radio for the most part was still kinda primitive in the fidelity dept and all the music was on am radio! So he's right that we had to listen more. today we have machines to slow down the music and alot of other crutches to get to superbassplyer status in 2 month's. It's an earning process as well as a learning process fellows!

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also think Marcus dosen't have the time, or need the cash to do a video. There is not all that much bank in videos for guys like Marcus, Will Lee etc.....who are always busy and in demand. I think Victor dosen't do it for the cash either......he just enjoys teaching! I'm sure he dosen't need the money from Wootcamp to make ends meet;)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    I seem to recall a Will Lee CD-ROM instructional thingee a few years back(10 years ago?). Not that I had a compooter back then...IIRC, the price was about $100 for this.

Marcus gives some nice(albeit brief) advice on The Miles Davis Story DVD.
    ;)

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I bought a Steve Gadd video because it had Will Lee on it.........pretty cool!!!!

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Steve Gadd is always with an awesome bassist. That's one little thing I learned listening to Gadd and Wenkyl and drummers like that they always play with great bassists.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Even Gordon Edwards?
    ;)

I bought SNL's 25 Years Of Music DVD set over the Holidays.
    The Joe Cocker/Belushi number has Stuff as the backing band(Gadd, Edwards, Chris Parker, Cornell Dupree, Eric Gale...didn'r see Richard Tee, though it sounded like him). Pretty cool stuff.

Sorry for coming off like Seinfeld-
    "What's the deal with 'Sampleheads'"?

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

last i checked my video drawer, jaco had a very interesting instructional video. perhaps he wasn't at the top of his game, but still...

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Some feel the need to teach, others do not, and then it is still the question if they're good teachers or not. Great players are not necessarily great teachers.

Instructional DVDs or videos also are a quite poor teaching method, since they're one-way only. I prefer to call them "inspirational" videos.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Kinda like the Playboy Video Calender.

15. Sure it's easy to dismiss his attitude, but reading this forum, I can sort of understand where he's coming from. I mean, especially on the 'effects' board; people are asking questions that not that long ago we had to ask ourselves and get our own answers. I mean, there are threads that basically say, "Hey, I just bought a bass/effect/whatever. Now what?" Like they're standing by, awaiting orders. Didn't you have an inspiration for buying it in the first place?

I mean I ask advice about settings, etc once in a while, but at least I had an IDEA why I bought the effect, a sound I was going for. Isn't reaching for that sound where great playing comes from?

People can be spoiled by video and the internet. They don't realized that the beauty of music is that some things CAN'T be codified or taught. Tone and personal sound are some of them.

I think that's what Marcus is trying to say.

BTW, that Ohne Filter DVD is excellent. Lots of close ups on Marcus and great playing and solos. The music tends to be a little wimpy, though.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    any info on this DVD?

i did a search on Amazon, and it doesnt come up. european only?

but i did get a few hits for the Ohne Filter show filming Curtis Mayfield, Tower of Power (Rocco!), Robben Ford, Duke Robillard, etc.

17. I don't know about Amazon. I got mine at Borders! :D

You also might wanna try eBay.

Damn, I haven't seen the TOP DVD! :bawl:

L

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Pyrohr,My Brother I Feel ya"on this one because me some other cats that had started playing around that time had or didn't have any of those tools either,and I go a bit futher.There might have been on cat who had a decent cassette that you could've of proably learn the bass line of a tune(that is if he was in the mood for sharing which was rarely because that was a brothers main music box)so we basically regulated to the lp or 8-track to learn a song and I think we did a pretty good job of doing it.
    Oh ! young players.This is another process of which some of us Old School players called it Lifestyles of The Funk&Famous.

Again The MotherShip has landed.;)

19. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I bought the same video on ebay for $8.00 bucks.

20. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    TRUST ME !Richard Tee was there