1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a question about 'adhan'

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Jägermeischder, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Jägermeischder

Jägermeischder

Feb 3, 2009
    hello,

at first i have to apologize for my english, i hope you can understand everything, i'm from germany and only know our school-english.

i got a question about your tune 'adhan' and the effects you use. i understand how you are using the 2 e-bows at the beginning but i wanted to ask which effects you are using when you play the harmonics first and then turn up the volume at the last part of the song. i tried it at home with a lexicon mx 200 and 2 really heavy reverbs and it worked pretty good but i couldn't find out how to get this long sustain and the clean tone. when i use that strong reverb the tone isn't as clean as before. could you perhaps tell me which effects you are using in the song?

and i got another question: are you going to play any shows in germany in future? i unfortunately missed your show at the european bass-day in viersen.

and i wanted to thank you for your music, tunes like 'selene' or 'sung to sleep' helped me a lot in my life and i hope i can watch you playing live in future!

greetings from germany,
    sebastian

2. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I played a gig with Micheal on Sat and saw him do it live. i know he uses an echo with almost infinite sustain (I asked him about it). It looked like he was sending notes to the echo with the expression pedal on his Boss Effects unit.

It was pretty freakin rad!!!!!

3. Jägermeischder

Jägermeischder

Feb 3, 2009
    thank you, i'm going to try some of the larger boss-pedals!

4. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Michael uses the GT-3, but at this point it's only for portability... wish I had known that before I bought one!!! Michael has said he would prefer one of the newer models, but they are slightly larger. Plus it probably takes a considerable amount of time to reprogram one of those things.

5. Jägermeischder

Jägermeischder

Feb 3, 2009
    i tried the gt 10 b last week and it worked really good, thank you! i tried this technique with a friend at the guitar, it did sound really interesting. now i have to practise a bit, maybe i can use it live in future in a few songs.

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thank you so much for the very kind words, Jägermeischder. Your English is great!

There's nothing really special about the effect you're referring to -- it's just chorus, echo and reverb. I like to program my effects myself (yes, I'm a nerd), so if there's any trick to it, I suppose it's tailoring the sound to fit your needs and then trying to interact with it in an interesting way.

I apologize that I don’t play in Germany much. I don’t have an agent there, so it’s a bit tricky, but I’ll keep working on it and I hope to see you soon.

7. Jägermeischder

Jägermeischder

Feb 3, 2009
    thank you, i really like the language so i'm always trying to improve.

it looks like i need to try some different settings, but thank you for the answer!
    and i hope that i can watch you play in future.

greetings,
    sebastian

8. Jägermeischder

Jägermeischder

Feb 3, 2009
    hey,

i just found this old thread again because i used the same technique as seen on michael manrings adhan-video in youtube in a short clip i made to show some friends the possibilities which a piccolo bass is offering you. if someone's interested: here's the link to the video:

piccolo bass harmonics solo - YouTube

it's not a very interesting song, it's just for the purpose of demonstrating the clarity of the harmonics you can create with a simple jazzbass and some piccolo-strings. the effects were created with ableton live, sounds ok i guess.

and to mr manring: i hope it's ok to you to 'steal' your idea. ;)

9. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Lovely!

10. Jägermeischder, nice piece. I really love the second half. Great sounds there.

11. russtolium

russtolium

Jul 12, 2010
    Very nice.

Jeff Schmidt quietly released an ambient EP with a similar thing going on earlier this year:

_ism | Jeff Schmidt

It's pretty awesome if you're into that kind of thing.