A question about purchasing a child sized bass guitar...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knifedge, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    Hello good folks... I have been on a bit of a hunt lately. My son, who will be turning 9 in a month, has expressed a strong interest in wanting a bass guitar to learn on. He has tried a couple of my bass guitars, but they are way too large for him to effectively start playing and learning on.

The other clincher.. he is left handed, and holds (or tries to hold) the bass as such.

I have looked on Amazon and Ebay for basses, but I don't want to purchase anything til I am sure that the bass would be suitable for him to play. There are child sized basses, but I am not finding much in the lefty department, and there are 3/4 sized basses but I don't know if they are small enough (but I suppose he would grow into it eventually) but I don't want him to lose interest in wanting to learn because the guitar is too big... so I am hoping that maybe some of you have suggestions or a direction that I can look at ....

My thanks in advance.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    While these aren't "children" basses, they're loads of fun, much smaller than a standard bass, and you too will have a cool travel bass for when he grows out of it. They sound great plugged in (fit well in a band mix), have lots of beats on board to practice to, and a nifty little built in amp.

teardrops_basses_black_12.jpg

And holy crap I just noticed they're selling for over $100 yes than usual on amazon. The review on that page is mine... http://www.amazon.com/APACHE1BWH-4-...id=1460911133&sr=1-4&keywords=vox+apache+bass

3. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  4. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Ibanez has their Micro basses too.

Linnin likes this.
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    +1 on the Ibanez Mikro. It's a "real" bass in every sense of the word, lots of adults play them too. Another suggestion would be a Hofner Violin style bass, though the actual Hofners are way overpriced IMO. Jay Turser, Rondo, and Epiphone all make violin style basses, light weight and short scale makes them easy to play.

Amazon.com: Jay Turser Bass Guitars Jtb-2b-vs 4-string Bass Guitar, Vintage Sunburst: Musical Instruments

Douglas WVEB-833 Violin Bass VS - RondoMusic.com

Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Short-Scale Bass Guitar

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Linnin and MattZilla like this.
  6. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    Thanks folks. This is great... I appreciate the information.... :)

7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    No advice to give, but please tell me how you got your kid to put down video games long enough to pick up an instrument.

Monster Truck and MattZilla like this.
  8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I wasted some $$ on an affinity bronco for a 7 year old boy years ago. What I came away from the experience with is that kids hands are just not "bass ready" until they hit puberty (And yes, I've taught - for several years). Better to start a younger kid on piano then move them to bass when they are ready (or they are interested)

MattZilla and TMARK like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Rather than a kid's instrument, have him try a 30" scale. This way he can use it as long as he wants.

Also, have him try to play righty. I'm a lefty, but glad I learned the other way - gives him many more options, never mind his dominant hand is doing the tough work.

10. If he is just learning then it would be easy to just get him to learn righthanded. I even learned a bit of guitar left handed, but my first teacher said 'just play right handed', and it was seriously that easy.

MattZilla and buldog5151bass like this.
  11. I completely agree with the 2 previous posts. If he's just starting out then have him learn right-handed technique. My best friend is a lefty who learned in his 'teens to play guitar right-handed and he's a phenomenal guitarist. Plus, instrument options are exponentially increased.

Bass playing requires fine motor skills of both hands so it's not like you're giving his non-dominant right hand a crappier deal than the dominant left hand is getting.

MattZilla likes this.
  12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    +1,000,000^

I work with an olllld lefty guy. He started playing before Hendrix was a thing- he says "my smarter hand is doing the harder stuff". He's also the one who, when my parents came along telling him of my gravitation towards bass, told them to start me on piano, guitar and voice. I am forever grateful that they listened, though I wish I stuck with the vocal lessons ;)

If you're going to disregard this (you shouldn't), I recently spent some time with an Ibanez Mikro and was left with a really positive impression.

13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Asylum-49 and Gilmourisgod like this.
  14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    ^^^^^^ What he said X 100. When he gets bigger, he can graduate his way up the Ibanez line to SR 300, 400, etc., best bang for the buck in every price range IMO.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Linnin likes this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    And don't forget to buy a Fender Rumble 40 1x10 combo to go with it!:thumbsup:

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 8, 2021