A question for you sound pros

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by IbanezBass69, Sep 4, 2010.

  1. IbanezBass69


    Jul 14, 2010
    So, my band lost a guitarist, and now are bass, drums, and just one guitar. This kind of leaves some "empty space" in some songs where I would rather have more of a wall of sound. Any tips that might help me fill that space up? I also, of course, don't want to combine my sound with the guitarist. So far, since he makes the smiley face EQ pattern, I do the opposite. I play through either a Gallien-Krueger 1001rb and a 4x10 cabinet, or a Peavy 80 watt solid-state combo amp, 1x15, depending on the practice space. I know it would be impossible to make a solution common to both amps. But, how can I make more of a wall of sound sometimes, beyond just EQing correctly?

    Will take any and all advice, thanks guys!
  2. Turock


    Apr 30, 2000
    A chorus pedal should thicken things up.
  3. smogg


    Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    You could add some kind of FX; Octaver, De-tune, Chorus, Flange, Phase, etc. Just punch it in when you need it to fatten things up. Could also try using the extra features on your amp via foot switch to punch in/out tonal/drive changes.

    just my 2 cents
  4. IbanezBass69


    Jul 14, 2010
    I forgot to add, I play drop D, and so does the guitar. I am not too big on using effects usually, I like a more Ryan Martinie style of using octaves and stuff with my hands, but I suppose I could give it a shot. Would maybe a overdrive or fuzz pedal work, as long as I dial it in right? Or should I stick with a more clean tone paired with some kind of effects pedal? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I just usually liked a clean tone, but I really want to thicken up the sound a bit in places.

Share This Page