A quick question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D-Man VanKrill, Aug 14, 2009.

1. D-Man VanKrill

D-Man VanKrill

Dec 4, 2007
    Alaska
    Hey guys, I have a show tomorrow and I will be using a GK 1001RB-II head with an 8ohm Avatar 2x12. However I'm not loud enough, I'm in an Alaskan Thrash Metal band called "The Shotgun Approach" for all you myspacers out there. So, I can either run her through the PA or run my rig with an old Peavy 2x15. Only problem is, the Peavy is 4ohms and coupled with my rig in parallel there is 2.67 ohms impeadence. My head can only handle 4ohms. So, the only other option I have is to run it in series and get 12 ohms of resistence. Only, is it a good idea to be doing that? I think my head can opperate up to 16 ohms so it sounds like it might work but the whole mixing cabinet ohm's thing is kinda shaky sounding. If you guys could respond as soon as possible, that would be great. Tomorrow is showtime (first show oh yeah).

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The thing is, at 12 ohms your amp will only be putting out a small fraction of the wattage you're used to. In fact you'd probably get quieter, adding that 4 ohm cab to the 8 ohm one.

If the Peavey can handle the wattage, then use it instead of the Avatar. Your amp can put out its full rated wattage that way (into the 4 ohm load). If not, see if you can rent a second 8-ohm cab for the night. Having two large 8-ohm cabs would be your very best option.

Another thing you can do to maximize your "loudness" is to cut your lows and boost your mids. Lows eat up all your wattage, and they don't project anywhere near as easily as mids do.

3. I would definitely be using PA support if it's available, and use whatever cabinet you think sounds better.

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I wouldn't mix ohms if you can get away with it. That 1001RB isn't going to like anything under 4 ohms or over 8 ohms without some damage being done (from what I remember when I read the manual). I've owned a 700RB-II (less wattage than yours), and a 2001RB (same wattage, or bridged mono for even more wattage) in the past and never had a problem being heard. I currently run an LM II into a single GK 212 Neo (300 watts at 8 ohms) and have no problem overpowering the PA, guitar, and drums if I wanted to. (mind you this is in a mid sized church with moderately high ceilings, and I'm positioned near a corner)

Are you having trouble being heard over the guitars/drums?
    Is it just a problem that you cannot hear yourself? (where do you stand onstage in relation to your amp?)
    Are you playing indoors or outdoors? (how large is the room, and where is your amp in relation to the guitar(s), drummer, PA speakers?)
    What EQ settings are you using?
    What is the wattage rating of the Peavey 215? (might just run that by itself as the 1001RB-II will pump out more watts at 4 ohms)

If it's possible to, plug into the PA and use your amp as well. But just use the amp so that you can monitor yourself and let the sound tech take care of the sound through the PA.

5. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Can you borrow a (small) poweramp from someone for that gig?

Then you can run your GK1001 with the Avatar 2x12 cab, XLR out to the poweramp and that poweramp hooked up to the 2x15 cab.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021