Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A small problem...or is it?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Capitano, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Capitano

Capitano

Apr 17, 2004
    Okay before I get on with this (please don't laugh at my age) but I'm 13 and my guitarist is 14. Well already we've gone through 2 bassist and 2 drummers (I was one of them, but I didn't want to do it anymore so now I'm vocals) And he is being a total ass about things.
    Firstly he only wants to play deathmetal and I don't want that, he is tightly shut to any suggestions or compromises I have to offer. A qoute from him is " No death growling, no band". Now I have found three people, goldmines, all of them, and well one of them I'm very concerned about because she is just, whoah, talent dripping everywhere, writes amazing lyrics and sings beautifully and wants to learn to play bass, has a knack for picking up things fairly fast. He dosen't want her in the band and he won't supply me with a decent reason.
    I have come fairly close to telling him to go to hell and I'll start my own band. Really hes not that valuble himself, except for his guitar playing skills. His lyrics are horrible (if you like I can supply you with some) and he can't sing ( he didn't want me to be vocals at first because hes a glory hound) hes being a control freak and an incompedent ass. I'm open to any suggestions that'll get him to come around.

2. I say drop him. If he's ruining opportunities and taking the joy out of your musical experiance, he's not worth keeping around.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I second this. And another thing, this girl you want in the band, don't let anyone in the band date her if that ever comes up. Just won't be good for the band at all.

Drop the guy, and make the band what it should be.

4. If he only wants to be in a death metal band and you don't, why are you two working together? If you're willing to play death metal, do that with him and start a different band with the three "goldmines"; he doesn't need to be a part of what he doesn't want to, but there's no reason that should keep you from working with them. If you don't want to play death metal at all, just drop him, he's useless to you. Seems pretty simple to me... :meh:

5. KidNamedFord

KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    MI
    hes probably got pre-madonna syndrome (your singer)

my band had to drop our singer because all he wanted to do was play "christian rock" every one in the band goes to church and all that except me, but none of them liked the way he wrote lyrics. just drop him... your better off that way

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    This is not the most likely scenario. Being that the guitarist in question is 14 years old, he was actually born after Madonna had commercial success which technically precludes him from having "pre-Madonna" syndrome.
    :meh:
    He may just be a Prima Donna.
    ;)
    :ninja:

7. I say drop him, much for the same reasons other people have given. There is no point being in a band if you don't like the music you play or the people you play it with (or both) it will just make things worse for you having this guy around.

8. Seems pretty clear to me. You´ll both be happier if you split up.

9. Drop him dude. Just tell him straight up "If you don't want to play what I want to play, then lets just find seperate bands". One of the guitarists in my band wanted to play metal, but the rest of us wanted something a bit calmer so we told him he could play with us or when we decide to make a metal band, he can come play with us. I'm sure he will understand and if he gets pissed about it, then so be it, that's his problem.

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

:D

11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    My guess is that he may have Post-Madonna syndrome. :D

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Drop that zero and get yourself a hero. You have your whole life ahead of you to deal with asinine guitarists. No need to get a head start.

13. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Classic!! :D

[oldguytalk]

You're too young to know that attitude and being cool is sooo much more important than pure talent.

[/oldguytalk]

I don't mean to sound condescending at all. I didn't learn this until I hit 30.... :p

Best of luck to you.

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The biggest thing at any age is you need to find people that are on the same page, or that you can communicate with effectively and agree to disagree on things, it's give an take. Close mindedness is a band killer, and all bands suffer from this, there's always that one band member that has to make things hard it seems.

15. KidNamedFord

KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    MI
    Pre Madonna, prima donna... who gives a ****?

16. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    People that are interested in getting their point across effectively tend to give a ****.

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Also, I'm going to repeat what everybody else said:

There's no reason to put up with someone that you've no shared musical aims with, regardless what your age may be. Drop the jackass and find somebody — even if they're not as technically skilled — that's easier to work with so that you'll actually enjoy playing music with them. Last time I checked, that's what it's intended for.

18. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    I second this! My high school grunge wannabe band went through 2 wonderful singers because the bassist (i lost the flip and played guitar) kept trying to get on them. I'm faced with this delema again. I go to a college with 4/1 guy/girl ratio and I'm in a group with a damn fine looking woman....
    think about sports..... think about sports.....

19. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I want to see some of these lyrics

20. Me too :ninja: