A Spider From Mars becomes a Wizard

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by charles21o7, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Trevor Bolder, the original bassist for the spiders from Mars, Bowies Ziggy Stardust backing band, has joined Uriah Heep
    . I just became aware of this. Hes a really good bassist and did some great stuff with bowie. I saw Uriah Heep in 2002 in Tennesee and they were awesome and his basslines were rockin . Anyone else a fan of this guy , or Heep for that matter.

And ill betcha somebody asks , " Whos Uriah Heep?"
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ziggy Stardust :confused:

Making love to his ego, Ziggy sucked up into his mind

Lots of great lines... man I need to dig out my old Bowie stuff
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You need to dig up some new Bowie stuff. He keeps getting better and better. Heathen and Reality are still listened to constantly in this house.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Trevor was in Heep in the late 70s, after John Wetton left. Did he quit and rejoin recently or something?

Heep did have their moments but I've always thought of them as a minor league Deep Purple.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...ouch. ;)

I liked these guys back when I was into Deep Purple, Captain Beyond, etc.
    Gary Thain was very cool.
  6. The actual truth is that when Heep was at their height (with Thain) Deep Purple couldn't hold their jockstraps!

One only has to listen to Heeps Live 1973 album to hear the some of the finest rock basslines ever played.
  7. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, Hambone as it so happens this thread got me to drag out some old Purple and Heep vinyl and I remembered why I didn't like Heep that much...two words: David Byron. Geez, ever notice how much Brad Delp from Boston sounds like Dave? I mean he sings notes so high my dog can't even hear them :p

Yeah, Gary Thain (RIP) was the best thing about that band.

One big problem they had was they couldn't write very good songs (not that Purple were in Mozart's league).

Anyway I looked up some Heep web sites and found that Trevor first joined in 1976, quit in 1980 to go to Wishbone Ash then rejoined in 1983 and has been in the band ever since.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Loved the "Look at Yourself" album and had it pounded into my brain by a friend who had a new car and put home stereo speakers in the back seat!

Mick Box has/had one of my all-time favorite guitar sounds, but without a decent stereo he really doesn't stand out in the mix.

I think the "Deep Purple wannabe" rap came about because, on the surface, "Look at Yourself" resembled Purple's "Easy Living" to the untrained ear. :rolleyes:
  9. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Your ear is REALLY untrained because it was Heep that did "Easy Living", not Purple ;)

Of course Purple was just ripping off Vanilla Fudge anyway :D
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As per usual, brian, you're crackin' me up!!! :D .....and, of course, you're right.

I was trying to think of the "Heep cops Purple" statement I've seen so many times in reviews.

It was mainly reviewers saying that Heep's rave-up/free form section for "Look At Yourself" was a rip from Purple's "Child in Time."
    However, our keyboard player can distinguish Hensley's and Lord's keyboards within seconds.
  11. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    That Spiders from Mars band with Bolder on bass, Woodmanson on drums and Ronson on guitar was super-tight...you should check out Bowie at the Beeb, there are two versions of Hang on to yourself and they only differ two seconds from length.

As of his new stuff...Heathen is a truly wonderful album, but Reality has been a bit of a letdown...the first track made me feel like a 'born again' (well, in a sort of kind of way), and the last track is wonderful due to the piano's, but there is not much going on in the rest of the tracks.

To anyone here, I could recommend getting any of his Berlin albums: Low, Heroes, Lodger. Especially Heroes has Bowie singing in top form.
    As of recent live shows, you can hear Gail Ann Dorsey, apart from being a very very fine bassist, having trouble nailing the feel of Trevor Bolders lines.

But, a bit more off topic, you should check out Diamond Dogs as well, with Willie Weeks (I believe) on bass. Those are really funky tracks.

(Those are a lot of words to say: 'I can't really comment on this Uriah Heep thing.')