1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A student's amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AlanHorgan, Apr 26, 2015.

1. AlanHorgan

AlanHorgan

Apr 26, 2015
    Hello guys, my first time posting on here so I'll make it quick!

I'm 18 years old and close to finishing secondary education, finally with some work lined up for the Summer and throughout college means I will have money to spend on gear.

Now here's the question, I need an amp. This amp needs to be a miracle box because it needs to be loud enough to compete with a drummer AND light enough to take to gigs as I'll more often than not be walking or getting the bus.

I've heard great things about the Fender Rumble series and Markbass gear, looking forward to hearing what ye have to say! Thanks lads

Linnin and tastybasslines like this.
  2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    1st, buy used. Your bux will go a lot farther. 2nd, also get an inexpensive lightweight folding hand truck. Regardless how light your gear is, it'll still get heavy if you need to carry it very far. Something like this ... http://www.lowes.com/pd_475925-94189-MCI_4294713226__?productId=50005434&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

The Rumbles get lots of nice reviews. Also think about the T.C. Electrionic BG250 MKII 115.

TC Electronic BG250-115 MKII 1x15" 250-Watt Bass Combo | Sweetwater.com

TC Electronic BG250 MKII 115 250 Watt Bass Guitar Combo Amplifier Amp B Stock | eBay

Another great way to go is a Gallien-Krueger MB200 + your choice of cab. The amp will fit in a pocket of a gig bag.

Gallien-Krueger MB200 200-Watt Ultra Light Micro Bass Head | Sweetwater.com

Gallien-Krueger Used Gallien-Krueger MB200 Ultralight 200W Bass Amp Head | GuitarCenter

Go with a 115 or 210. They're virtually identical in output. The 115's usually less costly (should be anyway) because it's 1 driver rather than 2.

Of course you'd like to spend less rather than more, but what's your budget? And where are you located?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    AstroSonic and AlanHorgan like this.
  3. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    this is fantastic alternative to the GK head: Traynor Amps
    would kill with these cabs
    Neo 15" cab, 40 lbs Traynor Amps
    or Traynor Amps 40lbs

they have a great 12" or 15" combos sb112 sb115 Traynor Amps 200w 30lbs for the 15" unit
    also have 400 watt combos, but a lot heavier 57lbs for the 15"

4. I suggest that you stick with a separate head and cab. The GK MB200 mentioned by Iualum is an out stander performer and value. You could combine it with a GK CX-115 cab or the Fender Rumble 115 cab: both offer outstanding performance and light weight at very reasonable prices. If money is really tight a light weight combo from GK, Fender or Traynor would 'work' acceptably. It's just that the cab portion of the combo is nearly always compromised (read too small). People initially love the punch and bloom, but after awhile, grow tired of the poor note definition and boom. Also, with a combo, if something goes wrong with the amp, you have to return the entire combo for repair.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Welcome to TalkBass, Alan! Great first post, and a tough question to answer.

Given your situation of needing: Light; Loud, and Affordable. You are on 'the money' to seriously consider a Fender Rumble.

Just pick the one that meets your tone and volume needs that is also affordable to you.

MarkBass are good, but cost two to three times the cost of a Fender Rumble. They don't sound two or three times better, just different. That's all.

Play & Listen to everything in your price range. Pick the one that fits your needs best. Don't be surprised if it's a Fender Rumble.

Yahboy likes this.
  6. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    also, whatever you end up buying, grab a little hand cart/dolly and a couple bungee cords so that you don't have to actually carry the amp on the bus! That's how I get around town, and it's been a massive improvement since I got the cart.

Downunderwonder and Linnin like this.
  7. If you have any amount of handyman in you, DIY cabs can be very rewarding. BFM designs maximise the loud cheap light corners.

8. Feralhog

Feralhog

Dec 29, 2014
    NH
    None
    I was very surprised by a Markbass CMD JB Players School 200W 1x15 Bass Combo Amp this weekend. Went back for a second look Sunday and it was sold. Price also dropped $50 from Friday to Sunday (which may explain the disappearance). Something to look at. I think it weighs around 36 pounds. Even that would be heavy shlepping it around town (cart).

Only you can judge its "gig worthiness". Depends on the gig..........

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Young man, your prescription could be a Fender Rumble V3 100/112 or 200/115 combo.
    If you own a Digital Drum and keyboard like me, Rumble 200/115 is your all-around amp.

10. This Markbass is a very good option. True, lugging it around would be a pita due to bulk (not weight), but an inexpensive hand cart nicely solves that issue. For your circumstances, a hand cart is essential.

If you have even a little DIY skill, consider DukeLejeune's compact, DIY 1x10 ( Low-cost DIY practice/coffeehouse tweeterless 110 [long] | TalkBass.com I know, it uses a 10, instead of a 12 or 15 inch speaker, but its a higher quality driver than is used in most combos and entry level cabs - it's very capable. Mated to a GK MB200 micro head it forms a very capable practice, rehearsal and small gig rig at a remarkably low cost.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    iualum likes this.
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I live in a college town. My only advice is to wait until you're settled in at your college, and check out the student music scene there, before making any more gear decisions. Find out where student bands play, how big the venues are, and so forth.

Jim Carr likes this.
  12. AlanHorgan

AlanHorgan

Apr 26, 2015
    Hey guys! Overwhelmed by the feedback, I really appreciate this!

But I think I agree with Fdeck, I'll settle in to college first and gauge the scene. Handtrolleys though are something ingenious that I never thought of before!

AstroSonic likes this.