1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A SWR 550X and SVT3Pro showdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Creese, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Creese

Creese

Mar 27, 2005
    FWA
    So after 11 years of hard service my previous SVT3Pro has become unreliable. In a pinch I got a great deal on a new one, but also to be fair I'd been eyeing a 550x. Well the 550x came today and I'm trying to decide which one I like better.

Both have their pluses.

Ampeg: Uber reliable; foot switchable mute; second channel
    SWR: Simple design/control; cleaner more accurate sound IMO; more headroom

I don't like how the speaker on/off for the SWR is on the back of the amp, but I love the Aural Enhancer. The Subwave thing is freaking worthless tho.

I seem to be able to contour them to sound very similar but there's something about that SWR that sings to me- the harmonics really ring on my Thumb NT6. But at the same time I love the options/functionality/practicality on the Ampeg.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

(I'm using an old-school Eden 410T cab)

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    "there's something about that SWR that sings to me"

That about says it all, no?

3. I love the Ampeg SVT3 tone & being able to put the tube voltage pot on full(left) & turn the gain up(so it clips reg.) & gives a good growly drive = love for me! Even tho I traded it on an ALL tube head! Thats my 2c.

4. IMO, I hope you don't play loud or without PA support; neither of those heads is especially powerful... I like the 3-Pro's tone better, but its personal prefrence.

5. I ve used both, and i have a Warwick Thumb 6string myself.... SVT3 didnt work for me at all! Even at practise i couldnt get some good clear AND loud tones, so I took it back and went back to my SWR heads once again. I believe the 550x its a much better amp head overall.
    I ve just heard the tracks in your myspace profile (and added u as a friend), first of all wanna say the tracks kick butt and the bass is awsome. And still believe that the 550x is a better choice and u ll be happy with it! :)

6. opium89

opium89

Jan 27, 2004
    My opinion is they are both under powered and you can get a much better amp with better tone and nuts for the same or less $$$. At least go with the 750 if you're gonna go SWR.

You know what they say about opinions right? ()*()

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Those are both fine amps. Get both, and use one as a spare! :hyper:

8. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    When we play "Seven Nation Army" from White Stripes, I use the subwave effect and it sounds pretty damn cool. When used as a "spice" in the meal, it has it's place. (Gee, suddenly I'm hungry.)

Enjoy!

Buzz